Species Caribena versicolor (a.k.a. Avicularia versicolor)

skippydude

Arachnobaron
A rare glimpse at my Avicularia versicolor, it's usually holed up in the web hiding some where :D
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Nice T, is that a critter keeper you're using, just flipped on its side?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Nice T, is that a critter keeper you're using, just flipped on its side?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
It is a critter keeper flipped on it's side, I siliconed a water dish up high. The T spends most of it's time in a funnel web at the top back edge of the enclosure

T must be growing up because it comes out more and more frequently

013.jpg

Joshport11

Arachnopeon
thanks man and about an inch aswell!

---------- Post added 04-14-2014 at 12:37 AM ----------

actually about .1.25

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd wanted to keep Avicularia versicolor ever since I'd first found out about them, but never got any until a little over two years ago at a reptile expo.
I've found them fairly easy and quite rewarding to keep. Their beautiful colors, relatively docile nature, and (sometimes) calm disposition make them one of my favorite tarantulas.

This picture was taken after his first molt with me nearly two years ago.

These pictures were taken today. He molted some time this morning.

I have two males, but he's the first to molt into an adult. I'd been hoping for a female when I first purchased them as spiderlings, but I ventrally sexed both of them as males a year ago and confirmed it with looking at their molts earlier this year. It's been a great experience keeping these guys and it saddens me a little to know that they're nearing the end of their life spans.

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
Gorgeous spider, well done raising him from a sling--I'm sure it's a bittersweet experience seeing him mature. Thanks for sharing!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, but you can breed your males and have their offspring to raise. It's the next best thing to having him, after he pasts away. The first female I ever bred was the MOST amazing versicolor ever! She died very young to some genetic issues. The good thing is I have her daughter, who is just as docile as she. She's my pride and joy in my collection. Kind of like my child, since I don't have any kids. She's also from my first sac that I've ever produced.

My first tarantula was an P pederseni who unfortunately was a male. I didn't trust many people back then, so I just let him waste away. I really regret not breeding him.

You have amazing boys and I wish you luck if you do breed them!