Can you de-venom a tarantula?

alucard1965

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The funny thing is I have lots of pepole ask me if thy had the venom removed it shows how little other peploe know about spiders they think they do it to snakes why not every thing.And yes you can milk a spider you knock them out with carbon monoxid and use a small elctric curent to make the glads pump.I seen it done one t.v not that I would or have done it.That was for making antivenom..

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lets say you removed the venom glands and kept the fangs...... This would also be pointless. Since the T sheds the venom glands everytime it molts thus replacing them with new ones. Just like some of its other organs.

Cthulhu1254

Arachnopeon
Scorpiove said:
Lets say you removed the venom glands and kept the fangs...... This would also be pointless. Since the T sheds the venom glands everytime it molts thus replacing them with new ones. Just like some of its other organs.
Are you sure about that? Venom glands are definately internal organs, as seen here, so I don't see how they could possibly shed them without loosing major parts of their anatomy. I'm very skeptical.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Assuming it is possible to de-venom a t. It could eat but only smaller prey items as it wouldn't be able to subdue the large ones without venom. Tarantula venom has no digestive properties, their saliva does. If you watch your ts you'll notice many with start chew their prey before they stop kicking.

A small article on milking venom from spiders.
http://spiderpharm.com/venoms/techniqu.htm

neilkane

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
de venom like taking away birds wings

i think is not possible and definetly false and like someone said how would the spider eat is like taking away all a sharks teeth or taking a birds wings away.

nothing is impossible to someone with to much time.

NeyNey

Arachnopeon
I had a similar arguement with a girl I worked with. She was "absolutely sure" that you could de-venom a tarantula without killing it...I just laughed at her. She also supposedly had an OBT that she said was "sweet". I, again, laughed at her. {D

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cthulhu1254 said:
Are you sure about that? Venom glands are definately internal organs, as seen here, so I don't see how they could possibly shed them without loosing major parts of their anatomy. I'm very skeptical.
Yes, here is a quote

"A tarantula's shed skin is a great opportunity to learn more about their anatomy. Along with the complete exoskeleton, spiders shed their fangs and chelicarae, their throats and stomach lining, female genital organs, and the linings of the book lungs."

It comes from this site.

http://www.eightlegs.org/general/molt.html

Also note that the venom glands are in the chelicarae. So they get shed I'm pretty sure.