Can Tarantulas "chew" through silicone?

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was in a restaurant supply store and i saw these stainless steel drains that would be perfect for ventilation. In my thinking a large hole could be drilled into the glass and then they could be siliconed in. Then I saw mention of Tarantulas ability to "chew" through aluminum wire screen. Is there anything that would stop them from "chewing" through the silicone seal, pushing up the steel drain and then escaping through the large hole?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I suppose anything is possible, but I would say that's highly unlikely.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's a bunch of vids by Robc using circular vents similar to one's you're describing. On his ventilation he uses hotglue, so why not hot glue them into place rather than using silicone?

Another issue with silicone is some have anti-fungals and anti-mould chemicals intrinsically part of the compound which may not be terribly good for the T.

Hope this is helpful

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
second xhexdx

Seconding xhexdx on this. I would chew on silicone sealer to get out of cage, but I doubt you're T would. Their fangs are hollow, and are only strong going down and up (I read a long time ago), I would expect if they tried really hard, about the most it would do is shatter the fangs. Stick your whole finger in a jar of thick peanut butter. Its a little hard to pull it strait out. But if you push your finger to an angle, you will "break the seal" on your finger and will come out easier. I don't think tarantula fangs could take the pressure needed to "break the seal" of that sticky, rubbery stuff. Peace, ryan

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good question, would hot glue work on glass? Also, the silicone i use is always aquarium sealant.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seconding xhexdx on this. I would chew on silicone sealer to get out of cage, but I doubt you're T would. Their fangs are hollow, and are only strong going down and up (I read a long time ago), I would expect if they tried really hard, about the most it would do is shatter the fangs. Stick your whole finger in a jar of thick peanut butter. Its a little hard to pull it strait out. But if you push your finger to an angle, you will "break the seal" on your finger and will come out easier. I don't think tarantula fangs could take the pressure needed to "break the seal" of that sticky, rubbery stuff. Peace, ryan

hmmmmmm... peanut butter.... LOL

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you are going to use silicone I would recommend getting the stuff made for aquariums.

Art

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as long as the surfaces are cleaned properly, using indoor/outdoor silicone for something like a vent holes is fine.

When using aquarium silicone- I only use it when I am securing something large, like a log or other big objects (in addition to the initial hot glue to hold in place). Its around 10-15 bucks per tube of the all-glass stuff. Which is excellent grade material. But for a project that minor- the regular stuff like 4-6 bucks will do fine.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They don't chew with their fangs. If you want to use vents why not put them on the inside with the silicone between the vent's rim and the edge of the hole on the inside of the enclosure? That way the T can't even get to the silicone. If it wants to remove the vent it has to pull it off by sheer strength.

Last edited:

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most of those industrial drains are absolute overkill for ventilation. They're much too heavy, extremely thick, and very strong.

Glass isn't too much fun to drill holes in either; consider using plexiglass.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good question, would hot glue work on glass? Also, the silicone i use is always aquarium sealant.

The hot glue will stick to glass initially, but it will not hold, ime.
Unless you are sure to let it ooze inside to cover the glass on both sides, forming a u-shaped seal around the glass.
I just made a split tank out of a 20L, and alot of the plastic to glass connections came off on the glass side.
I think the problem lies in that the plasticy hot glue expands and contracts and loses its grip on the non-porous glass.

I am being lazy about redoing it all with silicone, but I still want to QT the Ts that will go into it, so Im in no hurry.

Plastic to plastic hot glueing is great, OR where strength is not needed, providing you use the high-temp gun.

What I did on some of the plastic to glass connections is to scuff the glass with my dremel and a sanding drum head, then you can glue to it.

I think the silicone is a better option with glass, and as its not being used under water, the only thing to worry about is getting some without the mold-gaurd in it.
No need to pay the high price for that small tube of aquarium- safe.
It is not fumes that is the worry there, its the chemicals that leach out into the water . . .
The same-size tube of regular is 1/2 the price of aqua-safe, and a bigger caulking-gun-size is an even better deal . . .

BTW- to answer the OG question, if you got a tarantula that is smart enough to chew the silicone seal to a metal vent then push the vent out and escape, your gonna be on every spider-related show in Animal Planets future . . .

Last edited:

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tho, now that I think about it, the silicone with the mold additive might keep all the unwanted white-fuzzy mold outta tanks . . .

Im gonna do an experiment with that I think . . .