Can someone please identify this spider?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Giving a location besides USA would be very helpful. I’m unsure of the ID but it looks to be a male.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Male araneus diadematus looks pretty similar and they're rather common but it really depends on yr location

Beccax0x

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry..I live in central NJ. Do these bite because I'm finding a lot of them. Thank you in advance for your expertise!

I'm sorry. I live in central New Jersey.

Giving a location besides USA would be very helpful. I’m unsure of the ID but it looks to be a male.

Last edited by a moderator:

The wolf

Arachnolord
I'm sorry. I live in central New Jersey.
I'm not entirely sure on my American araneids that carapace doesn't look entirely like a.diadematus

No orb weavers (tetragnathids,araneids,uloborids or otherwise) can give a noticeable bite,a male at that size is likely even incapable of puncturing human skin,he's a male so he won't live long anyway nothing in the slightest to be worried about

Beccax0x

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you so much. I moved to a new house in May and there are many spiders here. My son keeps having these red welts randonly on his body and it's made me concerned. Every time I've done a spider ID, I am told they are orb weavers (even if they look absolutely nothing alike). I was told the attached photo is one also

I'm not entirely sure on my American araneids that carapace doesn't look entirely like a.diadematus

No orb weavers (tetragnathids,araneids,uloborids or otherwise) can give a noticeable bite,a male at that size is likely even incapable of puncturing human skin,he's a male so he won't live long anyway nothing in the slightest to be worried about

Attachments

The wolf

Arachnolord
Ok thank you so much. I moved to a new house in May and there are many spiders here. My son keeps having these red welts randonly on his body and it's made me concerned. Every time I've done a spider ID, I am told they are orb weavers (even if they look absolutely nothing alike). I was told the attached photo is one also
That's not an orb weaver that's a theriidid or a linyphiid it's not one that bites,spiders hardly ever bite I have around 20 atm and have kept hundreds of others and I have never been bitten the red welts are almost certainly something else

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
My son keeps having these red welts randonly on his body and it's made me concerned.
Red welts. Do they itch? Can you give photos of them? Prime suspects are chemicals or environmental toxins/reactions and mites, fleas or other micro animals. Chances of getting a series of significant spider bites is slightly better than getting trampled by a rhinoceros.

Beccax0x

Arachnopeon
I brought him to the doctor. He said it is bug bites but i don't know what kind. A mosquito could cause this much swelling?! I mean his whole forearm swelled and the large welt (or I don't even know what to call it) was very hot compared to the temperature of the rest of his skin. I only caught him itching it a little bit...

Red welts. Do they itch? Can you give photos of them? Prime suspects are chemicals or environmental toxins/reactions and mites, fleas or other micro animals. Chances of getting a series of significant spider bites is slightly better than getting trampled by a rhinoceros.

Attachments

NYAN

Arachnoking
I brought him to the doctor. He said it is bug bites but i don't know what kind. A mosquito could cause this much swelling?! I mean his whole forearm swelled and the large welt (or I don't even know what to call it) was very hot compared to the temperature of the rest of his skin. I only caught him itching it a little bit...
Do you have pets? Multiple bites, dots, etc. can be fleas or other bloodsucking animals.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry..I live in central NJ. Do these bite because I'm finding a lot of them. Thank you in advance for your expertise!
Original spider posted looks to be a male Larinioides sp. (possibly L. sclopetarius due to the color but a better photo would help).

Beccax0x

Arachnopeon
Do you have pets? Multiple bites, dots, etc. can be fleas or other bloodsucking animals.
We have 2 rabbits. We got them about a week and a half ago. But i handle them probably more than him and I don't have any kind of bites. I do get mosquito bites though.

Original spider posted looks to be a male Larinioides sp. (possibly L. sclopetarius due to the color but a better photo would help).
That was the best I could do because he wouldn't stop moving. He was going nuts because I had him in my sons bug catcher toy.

Thank you for this. I looked it up and it definitely is an L. sclopetarius. Now I am relieved. Originally we thought it was a brown recluse because when we tried to ID it ourselves, it looked just like the wiki drawing of one! Then upon further research I realized it wasn't one, but had no idea what it was. I'm now wondering what they like about my house and how to get them out lol. These 2 pictures are why we originally thought it could be a recluse.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I'm voting mosquitoes. But! I'm guessing that you have lots of bugs because you have lots of bug predators -- spiders.

The Snark

Old Timer
I'm guessing localized hypersensitivity response to mosquitoes, fleas, other. Don't discount mites yet. (Ever seen a really mangy dog?) Time to get out the vacuum and go over the entire place very diligently then take inventory of your local critters. Could be bed bugs. Just don't get out the bug spray and turn your place into a toxic hell hole yet. Know your enemies and plan it out.
FYI, spiders never cause multiple bites and swelling like you described. Lots of people live in a spider rich environment and don't have problems.

I brought him to the doctor. He said it is bug bites but i don't know what kind. A mosquito could cause this much swelling?
Go to a dermatologist if you want to get the real deal. They can narrow down the culprit pretty quick. Or you can narrow down the real docs in your area from the scammers just trying to sell health care.

Last edited:

Beccax0x

Arachnopeon
I'm voting mosquitoes. But! I'm guessing that you have lots of bugs because you have lots of bug predators -- spiders.
It's strange because I only see an occasional ant beside all the spiders! And the ants are in nonfood areas?!

The Snark

Old Timer
Starting to sound like bed bugs more and more. Do you know what to look for and where? There is a Cimex epidemic in the US right now.

Beccax0x

Arachnopeon
Starting to sound like bed bugs more and more. Do you know what to look for and where? There is a Cimex epidemic in the US right now.
Well the bites have gone down dramatically. And right now he's sleeping in the same bed with me. So I don't think it's that.

The Snark

Old Timer
Well the bites have gone down dramatically.
Sounds more and more like Cimex. Bite weals go away pretty rapidly. Put Cimex bite images in your search engine. Right now in the US, most multiple bug bites in the home are from Cimex. It usually isn't a major infestation of hundreds of bugs. One or two adult bed bugs can chomp a person dozens of times in a night. When they find a victim they just keep hammering away. Also, the person bitten will usually be the one closest to where the bug(s) hide out.
With most of the people bitten as in the images, it is usually one bug that did it. Note many bites are in a line or are grouped together.

Last edited: