Can someone identify this spider?

Alanthea

Arachnopeon
Hi there :shy:

I live in northern germany and found a little spider on my windowsil, I've had one of these in our bathroom too, picked it up and set it free in our garden.
Because I see them so frequently now I wonder what these are, cause they're tiny compared to other orb weavers (I thought it looks somewhat like a tiny orb weaver but can't find any that look like this) and don't look at all like orb weaver spiderlings. o_O

Would be awesome if someone could help me out :embarrassed:

Body is about 0.2 inch or 6mm

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I live in northern germany and found a little spider on my windowsil, I've had one of these in our bathroom too, picked it up and set it free in our garden.
Because I see them so frequently now I wonder what these are, cause they're tiny compared to other orb weavers (I thought it looks somewhat like a tiny orb weaver but can't find any that look like this) and don't look at all like orb weaver spiderlings.
It looks like a cobweb spider (family Theridiidae) of some kind, maybe genus Steatoda.

Alanthea

Arachnopeon
Oh, you're right Ungoliant, it does look a lot like Steatoda bipunctata :D
Thank you! :)

Alanthea

Arachnopeon
@Ungoliant I know this is unrelated to the initial thread here, but...
I've seen that you used to have lots of experience with Kukulcania hibernalis and I was wondering if maybe you could explain some behaviour to me.
I got my first one about 2 weeks ago, she's really pretty and ate some too already, but she ONLY hangs out on this one twig in one corner, I've provided her with hiding spots in the enclosure but she just stays elevated on the twig and made minimum webbing. :( Any tips how I can get her to do her usual thing?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've seen that you used to have lots of experience with Kukulcania hibernalis and I was wondering if maybe you could explain some behaviour to me.
I got my first one about 2 weeks ago, she's really pretty and ate some too already, but she ONLY hangs out on this one twig in one corner, I've provided her with hiding spots in the enclosure but she just stays elevated on the twig and made minimum webbing. :( Any tips how I can get her to do her usual thing?
It takes Kuks a very long time to build substantial webs. Their method of spinning silk is very labor-intensive: it emerges as thousands of fine strands, which they fray with a special comb on their hind legs. This is why I try to put adults in setups where they can be rehoused as seldom as possible (with spot-cleaning).

If there is one thing you can do, it's putting her in a dark, quiet place. That is when she is most likely to work on her web.

Alanthea

Arachnopeon
It takes Kuks a very long time to build substantial webs. Their method of spinning silk is very labor-intensive: it emerges as thousands of fine strands, which they fray with a special comb on their hind legs. This is why I try to put adults in setups where they can be rehoused as seldom as possible (with spot-cleaning).

If there is one thing you can do, it's putting her in a dark, quiet place. That is when she is most likely to work on her web.
Thank you for the advice, I have her in an unused room with the lights out and just a bit of natural light from the window, so at night she's very much undisturbed :) How long did yours take to get a decent net started? and don't they start from a hiding spot outwards? :eek: Cause I find it very odd that she started just on a twig out on the open / sitting kind of behind it in the corner but on the highest point of it ^^ I'm just gonna take a picture so you see what I mean :p

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you for the advice, I have her in an unused room with the lights out and just a bit of natural light from the window, so at night she's very much undisturbed :) How long did yours take to get a decent net started? and don't they start from a hiding spot outwards? :eek: Cause I find it very odd that she started just on a twig out on the open / sitting kind of behind it in the corner but on the highest point of it ^^ I'm just gonna take a picture so you see what I mean :p
@Ungoliant hat schon deine Fragen geantwortet. Ich wollte nur sagen, dass das sieht toll aus! :p

After reading this thread I would like to possibly try keeping this species in the future. Thanks !