Can someone help me with my recent lost tarantula?

thesillynames

Arachnopeon
Hi fellow hobiests I im really hearthbroken right now becouse i lost one of my first tarantula. She was eating well and now it was in its death curl for 3 days till she passed. I gave her water but it wasent enough, I would love that someone can help me discover the cause of death,
Thank you in advance

Attachments

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What were you feeding and from where? Please post pic of entire enclosure.

thesillynames

Arachnopeon
I fed her crickets from pet shop...My friend fed it a calcium dusted one and i was so mad...can that be a cause of death?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Need to see enclosure.... how old was she/how long have you had her? I doubt on calcium dusted cricket was the culprit

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Was the top of the enclosure still made of screen? She could have fallen. Ten isn’t super old but it’s up there

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
That yellowish goop in and around the mouth isn't normal. Was it in the process of eating when it died or died sometime after it finished eating?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Isn’t the goopy stuff around the mouth sometimes considered a sign of nematodes?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
So you think my cricket have parasides on them?
I can’t give you an answer on that. Just noticed the goopy stuff around the mouth. Apparently that happens when a T has nematodes. I’ve only seen pics though as I have never experienced it myself. Just kinda throwing some ideas out there. But I could be completely wrong.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I can’t give you an answer on that. Just noticed the goopy stuff around the mouth. Apparently that happens when a T has nematodes. I’ve only seen pics though as I have never experienced it myself. Just kinda throwing some ideas out there. But I could be completely wrong.
Pathogenic nematodes in tarantulas produce a milky white discharge around the mouth and prevent eating since they occur and multiply in the digestive tract. The cause of death in this tarantula is a mystery. It appears something went wrong on the inside since by the pictures there are no signs of physical trauma.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Doubtful that any internal parasite could kill a tarantula right away after she ingested it, as in "within hours".

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A fall would be highly unlikely given no obvious sign of external injury. Moreover, a settled-in terrestrial T rarely, if ever, climbs to the top to fall down. Getting its feet stuck in the mesh is also more of a freak accident than a regular occurrence. So as much as people see "mesh top" and "tall walls" and immediately conclude "fall injury", it would be the least likely scenario in my opinion.
So I agree with @AphonopelmaTX . While we probably won't know for sure the cause of death, it points more towards internal issues.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I fed her crickets from pet shop...My friend fed it a calcium dusted one and i was so mad...can that be a cause of death?
Ohh, how sad. Dusting calciumpowder on feeders is nothing that is recommended. But i doubt this would cause the tarantula to die if it only been done once? I have no idea what causes its death? The yellow stuff could be puke. Believe it or not, spiders can puke! According to a well known arachnolog i know