Can I Over Feed My Rove Beetle?

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
I'm keeping a Brown Rove Beetle (Platydracus maculosus) and am wondering if I can over feed it. Since it has settled into it's enclosure I have been leaving 2-4 prekilled mealworms near its burrow most nights. They are always gone the next day so I assume he's munching them up. Does anyone know or have an opinion on how much a beetle like this should eat?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm keeping a Brown Rove Beetle (Platydracus maculosus) and am wondering if I can over feed it. Since it has settled into it's enclosure I have been leaving 2-4 prekilled mealworms near its burrow most nights. They are always gone the next day so I assume he's munching them up. Does anyone know or have an opinion on how much a beetle like this should eat?
They'll eat and eat and eat as in their heads they don't know when their next meal with be. Much like a tarantula will eat far more than is required to keep healthy. They have no idea that in another week, 2 week or month food will appear again. So would eat pretty much every day until they just didn't need to until they moulted. For them it's job done.

Obviously your beetle will never moult but they'll still eat and eat. Make hay while the sun shines.

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
They'll eat and eat and eat as in their heads they don't know when their next meal with be. Much like a tarantula will eat far more than is required to keep healthy. They have no idea that in another week, 2 week or month food will appear again. So would eat pretty much every day until they just didn't need to until they moulted. For them it's job done.

Obviously your beetle will never moult but they'll still eat and eat. Make hay while the sun shines.
Thanks for the reply, Basin. I'm guessing a day or two in between feedings would work better than letting it stuff it's face everyday?