Can I leave my tarantula enclosure on my desk where there is sunlight?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Sunlight is fine as long as it doesn’t directly shine on enclosure. Then it can heat things up and provide temps unsuitable. Indirect light is fine though and good for the T to have a natural day light cycle through out the year.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Sorry if it’s messy but could I put my enclosure alongside my trapdoor and scorpion enclosures on the desk? Is the sunlight alright?
Direct sunlight will create a greenhouse effect and cook whatever is in the enclosure...filtered sunlight should be fine.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I keep a lot of my slings on my desk, but only because it never gets direct sunlight.
if it’s gets direct sunlight than do not keep them on it.
I always have something on my desk while I work and it’s the best!

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry if it’s messy but could I put my enclosure alongside my trapdoor and scorpion enclosures on the desk? Is the sunlight alright?
Direct sun light is an iffy affair. It may or may not overheat the enclosures depending on many factors so I'd say avoid it.
Filtered sunlight, even just through a layer of leaves and branches is usually fine as it's not that hot.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Sunlight is fine as long as it doesn’t directly shine on enclosure. Then it can heat things up and provide temps unsuitable. Indirect light is fine though and good for the T to have a natural day light cycle through out the year.
There is no benefit for a tarantula to have a day light cycle at all.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t do it for day light cycle, I’m not sure that’s the OP’s desire.
for It’s just nice sometimes to see these amazing animals doing there thing sitting on a desk while your work. The light is unimportant aspect.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Also be aware that sun angle changes throughout the year especially the further away from the equator you go. Just because direct sun isn't coming through now, doesn't necessarily mean it won't come through later. I regrettably lost two immature male GBBs on one occasion years ago, because I overlooked this phenomena. They got cooked. There wasn't any direct sun coming through the window shining on the location at any point of the day, when I originally placed them where I did. Lesson learned.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
While not having one having one is surely not detrimental. You can’t convince me that for any creature that lives, outdoors on this planet, having day/night cycle doesn’t encourage more natural behaviors. Which in turn is a benefit for anything. Especially those that hibernate, which isn’t only brought on by changes in temps but also by shortening of days.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t do it for day light cycle, I’m not sure that’s the OP’s desire.
for It’s just nice sometimes to see these amazing animals doing there thing sitting on a desk while your work. The light is unimportant aspect.
Yes, I was responding to @Chebe6886 where he said that daylight cycles were good for the tarantula. Which there is no documentation showing it to be of any benefit what so ever. Also, there are many keepers who keep in basements and closets where there is no light cycles other than turning the lights on in the room.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, I was responding to @Chebe6886 where he said that daylight cycles were good for the tarantula. Which there is no documentation showing it to be of any benefit what so ever. Also, there are many keepers who keep in basements and closets where there is no light cycles other than turning the lights on in the room.
Oh my bad I thought you had quoted me, oops.
yeah I agree I’m not sure it matters at all if they get it or not. At least for me I’ve never once given any thought into whether or not it matters.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I keep all my tarantulas in the pet room along two walls that don't get direct sunlight. In small clear boxes it doesn't take much to get them too hot. Most of mine seem to prefer the dimmer light. They are out more in general and during the day time since I set them up that way.

I keep Fred(the ball python) in the window and he loves doing the sun thing.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I keep all my tarantulas in the pet room along two walls that don't get direct sunlight. In small clear boxes it doesn't take much to get them too hot. Most of mine seem to prefer the dimmer light. They are out more in general and during the day time since I set them up that way.

I keep Fred(the ball python) in the window and he loves doing the sun thing.
The Pet Room! Brings me back to being a kid. That is what we used to call the spare bedroom in my childhood home! Had all sorts of animals in there! <3

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The Pet Room! Brings me back to being a kid. That is what we used to call the spare bedroom in my childhood home! Had all sorts of animals in there! <3
My pet room is one of the spare rooms in the house. I can control it's temps separate from the rest of the house and it's easier to keep the pets that way. Another big plus is since they are not bothered by often (the room door id normally shut) all the pets are out and about a lot more. I have a lot of tarantulas and a ball python. Ringo my bearded dragon passed away last year. He was owned by someone prior to me so I don't know how old he was but I had him 9 years or so. He was in the other sunlit window. My nieces and nephews love going to see what is going on in the pet room. For people with enough room I highly recommend it.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
My pet room is one of the spare rooms in the house. I can control it's temps separate from the rest of the house and it's easier to keep the pets that way. Another big plus is since they are not bothered by often (the room door id normally shut) all the pets are out and about a lot more. I have a lot of tarantulas and a ball python. Ringo my bearded dragon passed away last year. He was owned by someone prior to me so I don't know how old he was but I had him 9 years or so. He was in the other sunlit window. My nieces and nephews love going to see what is going on in the pet room. For people with enough room I highly recommend it.
The house I live in now had a spare bedroom that I had all intentions to treat as a traditional man-cave. Hang up cool stuff and display my sports memorabilia and some other collectibles....and then I got into spiders again...haha. Same thing. Dark. Quiet. Thermostat at 79. Shelf with spiders. Desk with my "equipment"....everything else is on the back burner haha!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Only if it doesn’t get too warm!!

Most of my Ts get sunlight through window