Can I get some advice?

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Hi, everyone! I've been keeping for years now, and have quite a few spiders. Lately I've been into the genus Aphonopelma. I've got an Aphonopelma chalcodes.. I really want some more, but the sites that I've been on haven't had much of a selection. Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer with a good selection of Aphonopelma?

Thanks in advance!

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, everyone! I've been keeping for years now, and have quite a few spiders. Lately I've been into the genus Aphonopelma. I've got an Aphonopelma chalcodes.. I really want some more, but the sites that I've been on haven't had much of a selection. Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer with a good selection of Aphonopelma?

Thanks in advance!
There are tons of reputable sellers carrying Aphonopelma, but there are few that are both reputable and knowledgable, and there is even fewer when it comes to RARE Aphonopelma. Since you are a rather experienced hobbyist, I would recommend getting a more unique and rare Aphonopelma species, such as this one:

Aphonopelma cf burica "blue chelicerae"

Available from Comatose. this seller is not only reputable but also very knowledgable. Many Aphonopelma are just similar and once you have owned one you have the kind of owning them all. I would say the Aphonopelma cf burica "blue chelicerae" is the most prized Aphonopelma species that you should never miss when it becomes available. Its sling is sold at USD100 in my region...

Last edited:

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Another good seller of Aphonopelma species is reptistexotics.

-Sean

tfd6506

Arachnopeon
Kelly Swift at www.swiftinverts.com currently has sp. "New River" (similar in appearance to A. chalcodes) as well as sp. "chiricahua", a dwarf species from Arizona that has a nice black coloration as adults, for $15 and $20 respectively. I picked up the "chiricahua" back in october, thing is 1/8" and hasn't molted yet!

Last edited:

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Wow! That burica/crinirufum is so pretty! What's the temperament like on them? Simillar to chalcodes?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Payson variant of A.behlei...Gorgeous AND fiesty.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I Am pretty sure this is not your picture bellow, do you have a permission to use it?
PS., I also would like to add,
There are tons of reputable sellers carrying Aphonopelma, but there are few that are both reputable and knowledgable, and there is even fewer when it comes to RARE Aphonopelma.
..and the one who actually bred and produced those is Tom Patterson, also the owner of the picture.

....Since you are a rather experienced hobbyist, I would recommend getting a more unique and rare Aphonopelma species, such as this one:

Aphonopelma cf burica "blue chelicerae"

Available from xxxx. this seller is not only reputable but also very knowledgable. Many Aphonopelma are just similar and once you have owned one you have the kind of owning them all. I would say the Aphonopelma cf burica "blue chelicerae" is the most prized Aphonopelma species that you should never miss when it becomes available. Its sling is sold at USD100 in my region...

Last edited:

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No I didn't claim this as my picture, I am yet to own this awesome spider. I saw this picture in multiple public forums but I didn't know who took his picture, thanks for enligtening us.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No I didn't claim this as my picture, I am yet to own this awesome spider. I saw this picture in multiple public forums but I didn't know who took his picture, thanks for enligtening us.
Yes, I know, many of hobbyists post pictures on the forums, still don't means anyone, (you or how many of you) can re-post them anywhere you feel like.
Not yours, ask permission to use it or you simply link to it.
Or even better take your own and do whatever you wish with it post anywhere you like.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Unfortunately I would have to agree, $40 for 1/2" A. versi slings!
I got my 3" female Versi for $50 for PetcenterUSA, and as much as everyone has their opinions on Paul, most are vastly exagerated. I have personally seen his facilities and they are top notch.

fartbreath

Arachnopeon
Hi, friends! I am new to the hobby and I just want to know why Aphonopelma spiders are considered rare. Are they endangered?

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think the rarity might be a reference to Aphonopelma 'cf burica'/crinirufum, which is rare in the wild due to limit range (Costa Rica?) and as far as I know has only been bred in captivity in the US by one person, who was reference in this forum. Other species that are native to the US are pretty ubiquitous, though some species like A. chalcodes are getting rarer in the wild because of habitat destruction and such. Other species or localities have very limited geographic range, and while they might not be considered endangered they're likely very sensitive to exploitation.

That said, my guess is they're not as common in the Philippines simply because they aren't native there. and my understanding is that while the hobby is growing quickly, it's still in it's infancy stages. Also, the United States has some very restrictive export/import laws which make it financially restrictive to send spiders your way legally, and that's before restrictions on your end are even considered.

My .02 :)

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately I would have to agree, $40 for 1/2" A. versi slings!
I was really surprised by the pricing of the versi slings too. But then again there are some things that he prices well, like a 5 lot of L. parahybana for $30. Then again, I was extremely surprised by the cost of those B. smithi.
Now, contributing to the thread, Comatose is very right.

Last edited:

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I know, many of hobbyists post pictures on the forums, still don't means anyone, (you or how many of you) can re-post them anywhere you feel like.
Not yours, ask permission to use it or you simply link to it.
Or even better take your own and do whatever you wish with it post anywhere you like.
I understand what you meant but the problem is most often these photos lack any source info and those who posted them don't owned the photos either. There is no way to ask for permission if you don't know who owned them, and linking a photo posted not by the original owner doesn't help too. For photos that are posted and forwarded many times with dubious origins, the best way to use them under the copyright law is the message I am now adding to the photo:

Aphonopelma 'cf burica'

the above image may be copyrighted and is being fairly used to constitute a form of information to present a rare, not well known tarantula Aphonopelma 'cf burica' offered by Comatose at this forum.

Last edited: