Can I bring a jumping spider on a plane

PeanutButter11

Arachnosquire
So I am in Chicago right now and see a jumping spider I haven’t seen before. I was wondering if I could bring this spider on the plane with me to have as a pet?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You are very probably not allowed to do that without asking for some sort of permit/s before, but those spiders are so little that I doubt the airport authorities would spot them... :rolleyes:

PeanutButter11

Arachnosquire
You are very probably not allowed to do that without asking for some sort of permit/s before, but those spiders are so little that I doubt the airport authorities would spot them... :rolleyes:
If I do bring it on the plane and they notice what would they do to it. I don’t want it to get hurt because of me.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If I do bring it on the plane and they notice what would they do to it. I don’t want it to get hurt because of me.
What I think may happens if the spider ends spotted? Spider = Seized. You? Something to pay due to that - Can't tell you obviously how much money.

If you don't want to hurt the spider (and your wallet either) then don't bring said spider with you.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Take a 2 oz deli cup fill it with peanuts (or some other food), glue it all together leaving a small space in the center. Put the spider in there and they'd never see it (through scanners or otherwise). Once you make it through you can move it to a safer travel container. The best way to sneak something through security is to have distractions. Think a few full water bottles in your luggage, they'll never notice something else. And if all else fails just bring a couple 10s. Of course this is all theoretical, I don't recommend doing this. ;) But if you were to it would probably work. People have brought large tarantulas and security never noticed.

PeanutButter11

Arachnosquire
Take a 2 oz deli cup fill it with peanuts (or some other food), glue it all together leaving a small space in the center. Put the spider in there and they'd never see it (through scanners or otherwise). Once you make it through you can move it to a safer travel container. The best way to sneak something through security is to have distractions. Think a few full water bottles in your luggage, they'll never notice something else. And if all else fails just bring a couple 10s. Of course this is all theoretical, I don't recommend doing this. ;) But if you were to it would probably work. People have brought large tarantulas and security never noticed.
I just wish there wasn’t a chance of being caught. I am flying with my family so I don’t really want to ruin their trip. I think I might just figure out what kind of jumping spider it is and buy it online. Edit( found out it is a tan jumper.)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They will kill it!

Also why would you take a harmless animal out of its home? Because you want a pet?

Treat that animal how you would want to be treated.

Would you want to be stolen, and kept as someone’s pet? You’re an animal too, like a spider.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Tan jumping spiders (platycryptus undatus) are very common in my area. (Texas) and live throughout America. So you may be able to find one in your area but if not, I’ve never seen any breeders selling them 😭

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
While I haven't read through the laws of both the states of origin and destination nor the terms of the carrier (airline), I wouldn't try it. As Viper said if security discovered it they would most likely just kill it. Your profile says you're from San Diego and considering Commiefornia has border inspection stations from other U.S. states where they specifically ask if you have any plants or WILDLIFE they may not be too keen on your new "pet".
Plus the X-ray machines aren't the greatest things for living critters.;)

Cororon

Arachnoknight
oOOo "Hey, let me drive this plane. I'm an expert" *palps frenetically*

Pilots: "Whoaa, a SPIDER!" *runs*

oOOo "Hehehe... I'm good at this..*. *testing controls*

oOOo "I smell food from the back... Must go and..."

Plane : WHEEEAAAAAOOOOOHHH...

robersmithismyname

Arachnopeon
As someone who worked for TSA, I promise you, they do not care if you have a spider. You could probably carry it in a small enclosure and tell them to hand check it (not sure if the Xray would harm the spider). Then just put it in your bag when you're done with the screening process. The airline could possibly care more about a spider (I doubt it), but they don't search bags. The only other thing would be if you were flying internationally. You will have issues bringing pretty much anything living. Also, if you try to conceal anything, that would be something to raise suspicion. Just be confident and act like you know what you're doing.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
As someone who worked for TSA, I promise you, they do not care if you have a spider.
We should clarify a few things. First, state to state transportation of animals isn't the major game plan of the TSA. Different departments with overlapping rules and laws. the DEA, USDA and FWS all have their fingers in the animal transportation pie. TSA screeing is all about security issues. A small solid container in your luggage or pocket is not about security. There may be some TSA officer making an obscure call on that however. Some eagle eye go getter may flag it knowing an obscure rule or even getting an itch and your animal is history. But most security screeners don't care. Not a security risk, take your box and get out of our overworked harassed faces. Judgement calls.
But in the off chance it does get flagged the same situation applies. Overworked, we don't want to hear it, get out of our faces without your box. Your animal is history. Destroyed along with the questionable liquids and improperly labeled whatevers.
Bottom line, four different Fed agencies. All some or none may have an interest in your little boxed animal. Unlikely to care but if an officer from any of those agencies makes a stink, you have absolutely no say in the matter. Critter is ancient history.
DEA? Yup. Things crossing state boundaries is also in their game plan.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
They are going to be so weirded out they will just let you pass, I’ve brought hundreds of dead insects on planes and only once have I been flagged and pulled aside and my bag searched for beetle larvae in a mason jar with ethanol basically, they didn’t even take it away, she was so confused why there were these big beetle larvae and that someone would want it, that she let me through with over 4oz flammable liquid. I brought with me a lot of gen X cicadas recently, they didn’t even asks. I’m always the big guy on the plane and sometimes they’re cool and ask what the net and bugs are for most time they don’t even want to touch the subject. When in doubt bring a butterfly and insect net, and they just assume you’re one of the nut jobs that actually likes them :lol: :rofl: :lol: :troll:

chibicricket

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't fly with anything you can't monitor freely, it's too risky for the animal's safety. You could ship it, however, maybe to someone you know that can care for it until you get home?

Meskimo333

Arachnopeon
I came to the thread because I am about to go to FL and was hoping to get some Regis specimens and start my own line of them. I want to know how to fly them back to Oklahoma or if I should ship them to myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Small deli cup with airholes in a checked bag is what I usually do.

Grab a free deli cup at 5 Guys at the ketchup station.

Perfect size for jumpers.