Can eggs still hatch without sac?

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I have been storing Widow egg sacs away from the parent for a little while now. Noticed one of them had fungus at the very bottom of it (I used Eco substrate, probably too moist). I immediately opened the sac up and scooped out the eggs from the top into a bottle cap in same enclosure not touching the fungus. Can they still hatch without the sac?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Don’t put the egg sacs on substrate next time.

To answer your question if they can survive: yes.

Will they though: possibly, but it’s not too likely.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Don’t put the egg sacs on substrate next time.

To answer your question if they can survive: yes.

Will they though: possibly, but it’s not too likely.
Hi NYAN, if you have time, I have a question about keeping egg sacs. From you experience, is it better to keep everything bone dry or is it better to mist the sac every once in a while to prevent it from drying out. I heard someone mention that they mist near the egg sacs recently so it made me curious. I really appreciate your time on this. Thanks.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hi NYAN, if you have time, I have a question about keeping egg sacs. From you experience, is it better to keep everything bone dry or is it better to mist the sac every once it a while to prevent it from drying out. I heard someone mention that they mist near the egg sacs recently so it made me curious. I really appreciate your time on this. Thanks.
Misting is a good way to grow mold. I keep my egg sacs dry.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Which species are you breeding?
At this point I've caught a few gravid females. Ones I can think of have been Scotophaeus blackwalli, Eratigena atrica, Agelenopsis sp., and Steatoda triangulosa. I've had a few more species lay sacs that never hatched and thought perhaps they have been false sacs. When I read that misting might be a good idea though, I wondered if maybe I accidentally let them dry out.

Last edited:

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I have been storing Widow egg sacs away from the parent for a little while now. Noticed one of them had fungus at the very bottom of it (I used Eco substrate, probably too moist). I immediately opened the sac up and scooped out the eggs from the top into a bottle cap in same enclosure not touching the fungus. Can they still hatch without the sac?
yep i always take my eggs out of the sac and put them on an incubator and have been very successful. and before anyone asks heres a link to how to build a spider egg incubator and you dont have to use the material they use over the water i use coffee filters for the water and over ventilation to keep flies out but keep air going in and spiders in