Can a tarantula become attached

Brittany10021996

Arachnopeon
Ok so 2 weeks ago my mom died. Since then iv mostly stayed I'm my room. My tarantulas terrarium sits right next to my bed. He almost always sits in his Web on the farthest side from my bed. Since my mom died he has been sitting on the glass closest to my bed facing me. Why is he doing this? Iv tried feeding him and he won't eat so I don't think he's hungry. Is there something wrong? Is it possible for turantulas to care or sense their owners upset? I'm just worried about him, he seems fine, just acting unlike his normal self.

cold blood

Staff member
Sorry for your loss.

No, a t has no feelings or emotions, im afraid you are reading too deeply into its actions.

Bree24

Arachnosquire
To become attached requires a lot of things to happen, such as remembering interactions, recognizing an individual, and acknowledging that this individual is not only a living thing, but one that is friendly and a provider. Even mice/gerbils/hamsters struggle with this, and their brains are a lot larger than the primitive nerve cluster that tarantulas have. It’s not very likely that tarantulas have the capacity for memory at all.

Brittany10021996

Arachnopeon
Ok so then why is he acting unlike his normal self? Iv had him for almost a year and he hardly comes out of his Web and now I havnt seen him touch his web.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Ok so then why is he acting unlike his normal self? Iv had him for almost a year and he hardly comes out of his Web and now I havnt seen him touch his web.
I'm sorry for your loss. As much as I would like to say that the tarantula is trying to comfort you, I have to agree with the others and say that it's just not possible.

As for his behavior, what type of tarantula is he? What's his legspan? If he's large (but not mature), he could be approaching a molt, which might cause some different behavior. Is there anything different about the side he's now on, such as that side has the water dish or one side has drier substrate than the other? There could also just be no reason for his behavior at all.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Maybe there is some thread in the fabric of spacetime connecting you two in a way no one can understand. If believing it comforts you, I won’t try and take that away. Science suggests it can’t feel this sort of stuff, but science also thought the earth was flat. Just please don’t try to handle or hug it. I’m sorry for your loss. Feel free to reach out if you need to talk or anything

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Maybe there is some thread in the fabric of spacetime connecting you two in a way no one can understand. If believing it comforts you, I won’t try and take that away. Science suggests it can’t feel this sort of stuff, but science also thought the earth was flat. Just please don’t try to handle or hug it. I’m sorry for your loss. Feel free to reach out if you need to talk or anything
This is the most amazing response.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ok so 2 weeks ago my mom died. Since then iv mostly stayed I'm my room. My tarantulas terrarium sits right next to my bed. He almost always sits in his Web on the farthest side from my bed. Since my mom died he has been sitting on the glass closest to my bed facing me. Why is he doing this? Iv tried feeding him and he won't eat so I don't think he's hungry. Is there something wrong? Is it possible for turantulas to care or sense their owners upset? I'm just worried about him, he seems fine, just acting unlike his normal self.
I don’t think any inverts do , get a cat or a dog for that, or a mammal. Reptile can be handled but I’m not sure how much personality or if they just tolerate it. Some reptiles bite often or are extremely defensive tho.

Brittany10021996

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry for your loss. As much as I would like to say that the tarantula is trying to comfort you, I have to agree with the others and say that it's just not possible.

As for his behavior, what type of tarantula is he? What's his legspan? If he's large (but not mature), he could be approaching a molt, which might cause some different behavior. Is there anything different about the side he's now on, such as that side has the water dish or one side has drier substrate than the other? There could also just be no reason for his behavior at all.
I didn't think it was possible for him to care but I wasn't positive so had to ask. He is a pink toe/avicularia avicularia. He's about 3.25 inches and he just molted about 4 months ago. Nothing has changed in his enclosure recently and I keep a thermostat in there to keep the temperature. Maybe I'm just worried for nothing, and he just wanted a change in scenery.

Lol I plan on keeping him right were he is and no touching. Thank you, and I didn't think it was possible for him but didn't know for sure. What's the harm in asking right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Russette

Arachnopeon
Sorry for your loss.

Maybe since you are spending more time in your room near the terrarium, you're noticing a wider range of behaviour from your T that you didn't notice before.

Consensus seems to indicate that T's don't become attached to or "care" for their human keepers but people often take comfort in the presence of animals during hard times, so enjoy and take comfort in the presence of your T regardless of the reasons for his behaviour.