Can a scorpion live in a critter keeper?

pizzathehut

Arachnopeon
I found this guy at my local pet shop, all I have is a large critter keeper. Would he be okay in that? I can upgrade later, like next week.

Note: this shop usually has good conditions for the animals, idk why this guy doesn't. It's honestly the first time it was lousy.

Attachments

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
How big is the scorp? Even if it's a bit big for the large KK in the long term, it'll be fine for a week or two, just might be added stress to be rehoused twice in a short time. Anything's better than that millimetre of sand he's got now, though.

pizzathehut

Arachnopeon
How big is the scorp? Even if it's a bit big for the large KK in the long term, it'll be fine for a week or two, just might be added stress to be rehoused twice in a short time. Anything's better than that millimetre of sand he's got now, though.
He appears to be about 2 or 3 inches long.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
So if the KK you have is 14 1/2" L x 8 3/4" W x 9 3/4" H (what's listed online), a 2-3" scorpion should be fine in this. Can't quite tell for sure from the photo but this looks like a Heterometrus species? You'll want to take advantage of that depth and give it lots of substrate. Once it's settled in and burrowed it won't roam a lot anyway - they don't tend to need a ton of horizontal space.

pizzathehut

Arachnopeon
So if the KK you have is 14 1/2" L x 8 3/4" W x 9 3/4" H (what's listed online), a 2-3" scorpion should be fine in this. Can't quite tell for sure from the photo but this looks like a Heterometrus species? You'll want to take advantage of that depth and give it lots of substrate. Once it's settled in and burrowed it won't roam a lot anyway - they don't tend to need a ton of horizontal space.
That's what I believe. It's listed as an Asian Forest Scorpion. But I know they're often mistaken. But just from the little research I did I think it should be fine, I just wanted to make sure before I went back for him.

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
Looks like an AFS. Isn’t on the correct substrate so thst should be changed ASAP. Critter keepers are usually fine they just let a lot of humidity out.

pizzathehut

Arachnopeon
Looks like an AFS. Isn’t on the correct substrate so thst should be changed ASAP. Critter keepers are usually fine they just let a lot of humidity out.
Yeah, that was at the pet store. I went back for him and made him an enclosure out of what I had left over from my tarantulas. I'm going to upgrade his enclosure as soon as I can.

Attachments

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
For a fully grown H.Spiniffer female I use a large eco terra Faurnarium thing. It’s just the right size

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Enclosure looks beautiful! You will need a water dish large enough for it to fit it's whole body in. But great job otherwise :)

pizzathehut

Arachnopeon
Enclosure looks beautiful! You will need a water dish large enough for it to fit it's whole body in. But great job otherwise :)
Good to know, thank you! I put it together like I would for one of my terrestrial tarantulas. When I upgrade the enclosure I'll get a bigger dish.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Good to know, thank you! I put it together like I would for one of my terrestrial tarantulas. When I upgrade the enclosure I'll get a bigger dish.
You're welcome, I actually didn't know that when I had one either so I imagine it will be fine until you get something else put together :) Enjoy your new scorp!

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
The scorpion should be fine in there temporarily. It just needs enough substrate so it can burrow if it wants to. Very nicely set out enclosure though! You might find it will wander, they tend to like exploring their surroundings. Lovely specimen btw!

pizzathehut

Arachnopeon
The scorpion should be fine in there temporarily. It just needs enough substrate so it can burrow if it wants to. Very nicely set out enclosure though! You might find it will wander, they tend to like exploring their surroundings. Lovely specimen btw!
I put at least 3 inches of substrate in there, it's already starting a burrow :) Next week I'm going to look into something bigger and further upgrade it's environment.