Can a female Het look like a male?

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I supposedly got three male H. laoticus a few months ago. They were sexed before they were sent to me and then I sexed them again when they got to me. However, the largest one ate the smallest one and has been getting progressively fatter and fatter ever since. The other living one looks fine, even thin in my opinion. But my largest "male" has gotten so fat it looks like it's going to pop. I've never even actually seen it eat. There's seriously a quarter inch on its sides between the plating on its top and bottom. My question is, is it possible for a scorpion to appear male but actually be female because I think it might be pregnant. I'm actually hoping it's preggers and not just fat, but please let me know what you think.

I'll try to get pics but I only see this one once every couple weeks, and even then it's usually just claws sticking out of the burrow. Luckily, my other male is almost always out and very active.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so basically there isn't as much gray area in sexing these guys as there is with Ts?

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like you might have to count the pectine teeth on one of the pectines with these guys. 14 or 15 is a female, 16 or 17 a male. The males are bigger than the females in telson length as well as claw size (and their bottom claw segment is rougher than a females) but the size difference is not drastic so it's probably not easy to tell by that alone. Pectines are the way to go, noticeably larger and teeth longer for the males (and there are more of them).