California Lycosidae/wolf spider ID?

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
I'm mostly a tarantula girl, and the only other true spiders I've raised and kept were Latrodectus and Steatoda. I'm not very familiar with others yet so I need help :(

After some research, I believe this is a wolf spider. I'm guessing from how it looks, its eye arrangement, and it's hunting behavior. Not sure what Lycosidae it is though - it's hard to find enough info...

Can someone help identify this? Sorry for the photo quality. I zoomed in and tried to make them as clear as I can.

He/she just molted last week :)

I live in North California, USA.

IMG_0222.PNG
IMG_0223.PNG
IMG_0221.PNG
IMG_0225.PNG

ironfeather

Arachnopeon
I just caught one last week! I live in Sacramento. Any tips? Mine hasn't ate since I've caught it and I'm getting worried. I've tried numerous times but it keeps avoiding the bugs I put in there

animaliaadvocate216

Arachnosquire
Thank you! Poor thing had a tiny abdomen and was missing a leg when I first found him in my home. He/she came to the right place ;)
The palps look rather thin from what I can see. I'm guessing female . I have two females that have the the same size palps and just caught a male that has MUCH more defined palps . Beautiful spider.

animaliaadvocate216

Arachnosquire
I just caught one last week! I live in Sacramento. Any tips? Mine hasn't ate since I've caught it and I'm getting worried. I've tried numerous times but it keeps avoiding the bugs I put in there
They can take up to a week to get used to their new environment. They can also regulate their metabolism to go five or so days with out food. I've learned that no matter how much I want to mess with them it's best to put them in their new enclosure and let them be for a few days before getting concerned . But on the other hand my g. gulosa eat a moth twice her size and two ladybugs within the first three days I had her, but my g. pulchra hasn't eaten anything and I've had her for about four days now.

Last edited: