Cages for hot scorps

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an LQ that I currently house in a 2.5-gallon tank with a heat mat attached to one of the long sides, but for a top it has a cheap metal mesh lid that you simply place on top off the cage. It feels cheap and doesn't secure the way I would want it too. IE when it's closed one of the left corners still has a slight opening and when I fix that the right corner on the other end has the same thing. I am beginning to feel uneasy housing such a dangerous animal in a cage with such a cheap-feeling top and dread a day in which it might escap by some mysterious means. Can anyone tell me of a similarly sized cage I can use with a more secure top. I'm obviously not looking for a KK becaue I fear the heat mat will melt it and the scorp will escape for sure.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i use big pretzel containers for some of mine. thick, heavy-duty plastic that does not ever have the possibility of melting from a heating pad. also- if the lid is high enough, it shouldn't be a problem (although i understand your uneasiness :D) as scorps cannot climb. there are other options, but clear plastic food containers are free and work great. have good lids too.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just figured something out! What If I applied a couple of those black metal things you see on rodent and snake cages on the sides? Kow what I'm talking about?

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cut a piece of lexan to fit inside the top lip exactly. A couple holes for ventilation in the center of the cover and a piece of aluminum "L'" shaped strut for rigidity. It fits snugly, and is taped along one side as a hinge.

Much better than a screen lid.

I keep my guys on excavator sand and it's bone dry. I spray the corner of the enclosure once a month or so for them to drink (and they do).

Ja Ne!
Martin

JMurphy97

Arachnopeon
Why not just put a big rock to make the sides go down. There was no tighter fitting tops you could buy?

Asgard

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I consider the Exo-Terra faunarium very safe...there are several sizes... maybe it would be a good idea...

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sterilite is the way to go.

Clear Plastic Containers with snap on lids is my personal choice of almost all enclosures for scorpions.
Never had an escape and you can choose how much air flow you want, by the amount of holes you drill.

Just go to your local dollar store or walmart, and they should have a wide variety of different sized containers.

Hope this helped, CT9A.

RichardMorris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What do you have around that would get into the 2.5 tank? cats? kids? dogs? friends?

If you don't have those, then why worry? LQ can't climb glass or slick plastic.

If you were to buy some big rubber bands, you can put 2 or 3 around it and you are safe. They would also make it a non-skid base.

Richard

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What instar is it? If it's still young, you can use deli cups. I house 5 2i LQs each in their own individual 3"x4" deli and it works well. Although, yours is probably bigger.