Cage decor sterilize first?

white_feather

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My son and I were walking outside and I found a huge flat rock that is killer. He wants to put it in the 29 with a T. Blondi. Should we bake it? Bleach it? Or just wash it?

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want to be 100% sure its sterilized, bleach it and make sure you rinse it REALLY well. I don't know about baking rocks though. Hope this helps. I personally rinse well with hot water.

ORO

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you bake a rock with a air bubble in it, boom in your oven :razz:

Godzirra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would just soak it in hot water, scrub well, if you have white vinegar, that is always a good choice of cleaning product instead of bleach. You wouldn't want the rock to absorb harsh chemicals

Arachn'auQuébec

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
water make rocks boom, if it is flat it may be sedimentary(?), so it has a lot of chances to contain water, so I wouldn't throw it in a fire, but I think it takes pretty high temps to make a rock explode, not sure though....I would just boil it

BamaZ71

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could put it in boiling water.... let it dry then stick it in the freezer.... then boil again

That might work, not 100% sure though

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would just soak it in hot water, scrub well, if you have white vinegar, that is always a good choice of cleaning product instead of bleach. You wouldn't want the rock to absorb harsh chemicals
Vinegar doesn't have significant antiseptic properties. However...mix it with peroxide and you get peroxyaceatic acid. It oxidizes better than bleach and leaves no residue. Maybe cover it with bleach, then rinse it off with peroxide and let dry.

Actually, bleach doesn't leave residue either.

Arachn'auQuébec

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could put it in boiling water.... let it dry then stick it in the freezer.... then boil again

That might work, not 100% sure though
I don't think it would change a lot for a t cage to boil it several times, you don't want to get rid of all endospore forming bacterias and all, you just want to clean it of possible arthropod pests, and I never heard of one that resists a single boiling...

BamaZ71

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think it would change a lot for a t cage to boil it several times, you don't want to get rid of all endospore forming bacterias and all, you just want to clean it of possible arthropod pests, and I never heard of one that resists a single boiling...
True... but I like to be redundant and do things two or three times just to be sure... it probably doesn't do any better like you said, but it eases my mind :)

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Vinegar doesn't have significant antiseptic properties. However...mix it with peroxide and you get peroxyaceatic acid. It oxidizes better than bleach and leaves no residue. Maybe cover it with bleach, then rinse it off with peroxide and let dry.

Actually, bleach doesn't leave residue either.
Is there a formula for that?