C. vittatus

Paleofish

Arachnosquire
I don't know if these mites can go to reptiles, but they seem to not be harmful to the C. vittatus. They are VERY commonly found on them. The have all died off in time in captivity here. I've made no attempt to remove them. They just die pretty quick. I don't know the how's and why's, but I know they do. I wouldn't stress too much. If they explode in numbers, then it's time to start worrying. Sure, go ahead and try to remove them, but I've had no problems with them. :)
Ok thanks for that info! Really I would rather not mess with the scorps. So now that you guys have told me this I'll just put the substrate back in.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok thanks for that info! Really I would rather not mess with the scorps. So now that you guys have told me this I'll just put the substrate back in.
Good. Those mites aren't worth worrying about. If I were you, I would let the terrarium dry out really good for a week or so, and that should do them in I think. C. vittatus can handle extremely low humidity, at least for a while, while the mites should require 65%+ percent. So if you dry it out well for a short time, you will probably do them in. :) ~r

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just went and checked on mine after reading your comment dw.
They are awesome! Communal species are great. They really aren't that defensive either, in captivity anyway. I've been getting in their terrarium that I've stacked cork in, and I pick up the pieces right next to where they are, and they don't seem to mind. They don't try to sting. It may be from being captive for a while, but they are really calm. We'll see how I feel when one changes it's mind though, ;)

Sweet pics! I have some C. Vittatus myself and IMO they are sweet scorps!

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aw, well, I've got some room for an upload for now, so here's a pic. Some of you have seen this, but the o.p. hasn't. :) MM feeding.

Last edited:

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are some of the most underrated scorpions in the hobby IMO. They are hardy and its cute how they pile up on top of each other and don't get defensive. Though after moving a male, he got REAL:LY pissed off and was twitching his tail and waving his claws around whenever something would move by him. They all moved into a corner and left him alone. LOL!

Paleofish

Arachnosquire
Awesome picture! Yeah even I have noticed that the vittatus aren't very defensive. I am going to have to put them in a communel one of these days.