C. vittatus

Paleofish

Arachnosquire
I was out looking for scorpions with some family and friends, and I just wanted to show the scorpions we found.

Under a black light at home.

Normal light.

Man I really want to get a portable black light...ARGH!

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Absolutely FANTASTIC! Those are extremely healthy-looking specimens you captured. A couple look fat or gravid - excellent indicators of healthy scorps. Be careful and have fun!

- Jeff

Paleofish

Arachnosquire
Absolutely FANTASTIC! Those are extremely healthy-looking specimens you captured. A couple look fat or gravid - excellent indicators of healthy scorps. Be careful and have fun!

- Jeff

Thanks! Here are the containers I have each scorp in. Do they look good?

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Paleofish your setups look great are you keeping any of them communal ?

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice finds, it looks like a few have mites though. Aw makes me anxious to go out collecting again:)

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah they all have some mites. Any tips on how to get rid of them?
I collected a few with mites once, I brushed them off with a stiff bristled paint brush (tailing them) and kept them separate and off substrate for a couple of weeks until I was sure they where gone. Others may have better solutions though (If you do this still give them water and a hides)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You don't have to worry much about those bright red ones, they sit high, almost on a stalk. They don't crawl around, not in that stage anyway. They are attached somehow. You can just pull them off with good tweezers or you can smash them with the tweezers and leave them there. Ime, it's likely you won't see anymore of those after you kill them. I don't know if those have been studied well. They probably have been but I don't know where the info is.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see the mites now, they're pretty large and bright. Those would probably be easy to brush off. My scorpion unfortunately had very tiny white/milk colored ones.

Edit: make sure to brush them into a pit of lava.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
These usually don't brush off, they are attached, and pretty strongly attached. I've even smashed them with tweezers and have a hard time pulling them off. I have good tweezers though that end in a sharp point. I could get the base of those things that way and pluck them off.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These usually don't brush off, they are attached, and pretty strongly attached. I've even smashed them with tweezers and have a hard time pulling them off. I have good tweezers though that end in a sharp point. I could get the base of those things that way and pluck them off.
dang, I see. Nasty critters:barf:

Paleofish

Arachnosquire
Ok thanks guys! Mites grrrr. I'll try the brush method tomorrow after I get a good sleep.

Paleofish

Arachnosquire
Ok guys I started with the worst scorp, with both the brush and the tweezers....Both didn't work well at all. The mites just don't want to let go.

Any other ideas?

BTW Can these mites go to reptiles?

Last edited:

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
have you tried the vaseline on a q-tip method? they stick to the vaseline and you pull em off, if they don't come off they die because of the vaseline coating

works on Ts anyway :)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know if these mites can go to reptiles, but they seem to not be harmful to the C. vittatus. They are VERY commonly found on them. The have all died off in time in captivity here. I've made no attempt to remove them. They just die pretty quick. I don't know the how's and why's, but I know they do. I wouldn't stress too much. If they explode in numbers, then it's time to start worrying. Sure, go ahead and try to remove them, but I've had no problems with them. :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree, I've had the same experience as Ryan. I've never seen them reproduce before, never seen a bunch of them. If you want to get them off though, you need better tweezers, needle nose tweezers. I bought mine at a military surplus store. They work if you have good ones.