C. Vittatus Popped!

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was making my rounds today feeding and havent seen my vittatus in awhile. So I shined a light into the burrow and theres a bunch of babies on her back. Im quite excited since having scorps all these years I finally had one pop. Im quite shocked though since I didnt think she was mature yet. I figured they were the same size as C. Exilicauda. My gravid C. Exilicauda is 2-2.5X the size of the vittatus.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just caught one of them. He was lost in the corner of the tank a long ways from mom. I got him in a deli cup and hes running all around. Do they not leave the back until they are at their second instar? Hes so small I had a hard time catching him and he ran a lot so im thinking he can pry fend for himself. Looks like its about time for them to leave mom. They are so small im afraid they are going to climb the silicone in the corners. I put tape over the corners so I hope that helps.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just ordered a gravid female C. Vittatus. I look forward to have some more little guys. My emp gave birth about a month and a half ago and the little guys are the best. They are a lot of fun. Hope all goes well for you man!

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea my lone vittatus was a freebie from swifts. I was thinking about getting a few more but I dont think I have to now. So far I have found 2 wandering the tank looking lost and have them in their own deli cups. The rest seem content on moms back. They are soo tiny.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im curious when these guys will start eating. I have a total of 4 seperated that I found wandering about. So far they havent eatin any of the crushed pinheads I put in there.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try giving them live pinheads. They should be able to catch them just fine. And if you are worryed about the piheads hurting them, don't. Aint no cricket gonna hurt them.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont think they can bring down these crickets, they are not exactly pinheads. Well its the pet stores definition of a pinhead but its not. They are about twice the size of the scorplings so I have to prekill them.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed my baby emps full size crickets that are bigger than them. I would just take off they're back legs and at least give it a try. They got stingers, thats more than the crickets got.

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I think baby emps are a lot bigger than a baby vittatus. I did try taking the back legs off a cricket and all it did was scare the hell out of the vittatus. They are so tiny.

Attachments

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My bad. I knew they were small, but not that small. Thats a good pic by the way. I would suggest you start breeding crickets. Two week old crickets would be just the right size. There is a good thread in the insects forum about it. Man they are small! :eek:

Predator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kind of ironic since I was trying to breed some crickets in a small dish but it grew mold in 48 hrs which is odd since its peat. Its a little late to try now though since it would be 2 weeks before I seen any babies.