C. Vittatus just gave birth (pic)

Absolutt

Arachnopeon
Gave birth a day or so ago.

How long until the babies molt? I count about 31 on her back.
Will a 10 gallon hold these without too much problem?
How often should I feed them?

Attachments

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ten gallon terrarium is far too much space, you lose a single C.vittatus in a container that size (note, a little levity in that statement). The scorplings won't eat until they left their mother's back. Then you feed them crushed pinhead crickets or flightless fruit fly nymphs. You could place them in a much smaller space to provide a nursery, once they leave their mother's back, individual deli-cups will suffice.

TresScorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice

wow beautiful scorps , Very nice picture , C. Vittatus is next on my to buy list , cant wait .. Show us some more pictures when ya got time . thanks

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with Stormcrow, when they shed for the first time and then leave the mother's back separate them into individual deli cups. give them a little extra humidity but not soaking on their substrate, I used cricket gel water to help with humidity and reduce the chance of drowning. they will take pinhead crickets as well. keep an eye on them, they will take a few days to a week and a half to shed. Good luck.
Darrell.

Absolutt

Arachnopeon
:8o

:8o
Okay, yesterday I looked in the container to find that the babies had all left the mother and were in the process of molting - however, the mother was dead. Any idea what might have caused this? Is this common for an older WC mother to pass away in this fashion? She had plenty of water and had ate 3 times the week before birth, however hadn't ate afterwards (was waiting on the babies to leave her back, took about 3 days)
How hot is too hot for Vittatus? The container is in the shade on my balcony.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You keep you're scorpions outside? That was new for me. Anyway I think C vittatus can stand temps up to 90-120 degrees F as they will hang in the shade, but I'm not sure. Personly I think it was the cold that got her.

Absolutt

Arachnopeon
Well they're kept on my balcony in a terrarium, mainly because my wife is afraid they'll escape the cage. At any rate, here in Texas the high yesterday was about 95, low was 78 (F). So I don't think that's too cold?
I really wonder why the day after the baby's leave the mother that she died.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe she was just old. And I think you should have a talk about them with you're wife.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
PIter said:
Maybe she was just old. And I think you should have a talk about them with you're wife.
I would agree, in 20 years I have never had an escape. :)

mactans

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Probably old, but I would be reluctant to keep scorpions even indigenous species on a balcony.

Absolutt

Arachnopeon
It's more of a deck that a balcony, they're not like on a ledge or something.
:)
I have to ask though, if a scorp is going to die is giving birth a huge strain?
It looks like she stayed alive just until the babies vacated her back.