C. Versicolor Runs From Food

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
I recently bought a small 1/2inch-3/4inch C. Versicolor sling 4 days ago from a reptile show after recommendations from this forum. The sling had molted in its container by the time I had bought it and transferred it to a different container the same day. Whenever I try to feed the sling a dubia roach that is smaller than the sling, dead or alive it runs away. Does anyone know what I can do or any reasoning that might reduce the anxiety of taking care of a C. Versicolor sling.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not sure why anyone suggested this species. Bad choice, should have gotten a terrestrial species that is much hardier. These are not forgiving of husbandry errors. Should have gotten a G. pulchripes.

In YOUR case, your T is LIKELY not eating because it molted. Ts don't eat until their fangs turn BLACK. If you feed before that happens you might kill your T. This is common knowledge.

I strongly suggest you do more research before you mistakenly kill your T.

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree that your t is probably still hardening after that molt. Give your sling a few days to recover and settle in and try again.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure why anyone suggested this species. Bad choice, should have gotten a terrestrial species that is much hardier. These are not forgiving of husbandry errors. Should have gotten a G. pulchripes.
To my and other's defence... OP did get a G. pulchripes as his first T and was asking for a second docile, but colourful T. And he got the best advice, links and all that he needed alongside the suggestion of a C. versicolor. Look here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/re...t-are-particularly-colorful-beautiful.323499/
Also, trying to feed a freshly moulted T is not a husbandry error but a general beginner mistake that could've happened with any species. ;)

@stuffnstuff I've to admit I'm a bit puzzled why you tried to feed it that shortly after its moult. :wideyed: The fact that Ts need to harden up before they'll eat after moulting should've been known to you if you did the proper research and read the links I had posted. In any case, just do what the others have said... wait until its fangs are black again, or if you can't see its fangs wait a week and then try again.
And make sure the water dish is always full with clear and unobstructed water.

Arachnanoob95

Arachnopeon
I recently bought a small 1/2inch-3/4inch C. Versicolor sling 4 days ago from a reptile show after recommendations from this forum. The sling had molted in its container by the time I had bought it and transferred it to a different container the same day. Whenever I try to feed the sling a dubia roach that is smaller than the sling, dead or alive it runs away. Does anyone know what I can do or any reasoning that might reduce the anxiety of taking care of a C. Versicolor sling.
Don't know why people keep saying versicolors are harder to keep. If you did your proper research (meaning you know they need a ton of cross ventilation and not too much humidity) it's hard to really mess it up. I am a total beginner and got a versicolor sling as one of my first slings (I got 4 slings currently, including the versi, that's all). A good eater too. It currently is refusing, which is adorable because it still checks out the food but instead of grabbing it, it just kinda threat postures it . Probably in premoult if the increase in webbing and refusal of food is anything to go by.
If I were you, just try different types of food. If it won't eat the dubias, maybe try pieces of mealworm, Lateralis roaches, tiny crickets, etc. Mine ate buffalo worms first and now is one tiny lateralis roaches. And it rarely refuses its food.

Tuisto

Arachnosquire
Just wait a few more days and it'll be snatching any prey in an instant. I was surprised the first time my shy B. hamorii sling instantly grabbed a roach like a pokie after it finally hardened up. Very hungry! Lol

Keep that versicolor dry with water dish and plenty of ventilation and it'll prosper.

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon

In YOUR case, your T is LIKELY not eating because it molted. Ts don't eat until their fangs turn BLACK. If you feed before that happens you might kill your T. This is common knowledge.

I strongly suggest you do more research before you mistakenly kill your T.

I was recommended C. Versicolor after I asked for a recommendation for a new tarantula as I already had a G. Pulchripes, LP, and a A. Avic. I thought that slings get back on their feet faster than adults do. I'll try to take a look at the fangs but it's only 1/2-3/4in big, thanks for the advice.

I agree that your t is probably still hardening after that molt. Give your sling a few days to recover and settle in and try again.
Thanks that was what I was thinking that it is still trying to recover from a molt.

Just wait a few more days and it'll be snatching any prey in an instant. I was surprised the first time my shy B. hamorii sling instantly grabbed a roach like a pokie after it finally hardened up. Very hungry! Lol

Keep that versicolor dry with water dish and plenty of ventilation and it'll prosper.
Yea, I heard about all the stories of C. Versicolors dying from humidity and not enough ventilation. It probably is still trying to recover from its molt. I'll post a picture of the enclosure, I think it has enough ventilation and there's also a water dish in there so I hope the sling will be fine.

The jagged plastic edges are only on the outside so they shouldn't hurt the sling. Also I know the enclosure looks pretty big but it was the only one I could find and the sling seems fine so I just continued using it. IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0970.JPG

To my and other's defence... OP did get a G. pulchripes as his first T and was asking for a second docile, but colourful T. And he got the best advice, links and all that he needed alongside the suggestion of a C. versicolor. Look here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/re...t-are-particularly-colorful-beautiful.323499/
Also, trying to feed a freshly moulted T is not a husbandry error but a general beginner mistake that could've happened with any species. ;)

@stuffnstuff I've to admit I'm a bit puzzled why you tried to feed it that shortly after its moult. :wideyed: The fact that Ts need to harden up before they'll eat after moulting should've been known to you if you did the proper research and read the links I had posted. In any case, just do what the others have said... wait until its fangs are black again, or if you can't see its fangs wait a week and then try again.
And make sure the water dish is always full with clear and unobstructed water.
The people who had sold it to me said it had molted 2 days earlier so I thought a 6 day total wait would have been long enough, I guess I will need to wait a little longer. The tarantula seems fine though, and I have used all the advice you guys posted. I posted some pictures of the enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought that slings get back on their feet faster than adults do
Generally yes. I can't say for sure, but that container has some holes that sure look wide enough for an escape.

I was recommended C. Versicolor after I asked for a recommendation for a new tarantula as I already had a G. Pulchripes, LP, and a A. Avic. I thought that slings get back on their feet faster than adults do. I'll try to take a look at the fangs but it's only 1/2-3/4in big, thanks for the advice.
Ah! Thanks for the clarification! Feed when black! Observe behavior and abdomen size!

Don't know why people keep saying versicolors are harder to keep
Because they are. Search the forum, see how many TONS of threads start with "Help my Pink Toe is Dying/Dead/Not Doing well", THEN see how often you see that with ANY other genus of T in the WORLD. I guarantee you on this forum Avic genus is the leader w/that thread post.

You can do all types of bad things with a G. pulchripes or an albo or a GBB, etc and they will survive. Give an Avic the same crappy care, they often die.

Last edited by a moderator:

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
Generally yes. I can't say for sure, but that container has some holes that sure look wide enough for an escape.
It might be the angle, but I made sure to pick a drill bit that was smaller than the body of the sling, I've seen it stand on top of a hole and it definitely won't escape.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It might be the angle, but I made sure to pick a drill bit that was smaller than the body of the sling, I've seen it stand on top of a hole and it definitely won't escape.
To be clear, if the carapace size is smaller than the hole, your T leaves you. The abdomen can get quite small even when it appears plump. Your use of "body" wasn't clear enough.

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
Update - I tried feeding it after waiting 2 more days, it again ran away when I tried giving the sling a small dubia and it again ran away. However, after leaving it on the webbing, I came back a couple hours later to the sling eating the dubia roach:happy:. I guess I did just have to give it some time to acclimate.

junewolf

Arachnopeon
Hi @stuffnstuff ! Sounds like you have it pretty much under control. :D I have a C. versi sling myself. I agree that she is a bit more complex than my other sling to care for, but it's not an impossible task! You're in the right place if you're here and asking questions. :)
My C. versi loves mealworms and pinhead crickets, and I find that I usually have to leave her food in her web or she won't find it very quickly. Also, mine totally escaped, and was free range in my bedroom for 5 days. I did find her eventually, in the top of my window. When I realized (too late) that the holes in her enclosure were too large, I wrapped a piece of saran wrap around the enclosure and poked tiny holes in it with a toothpick.

cold blood

Staff member
OP, just a heads up...that enclosure needs a LOT of work.

Wood should be wider and provide a platform to hunt from and stretch out on...twigs are useless.

On top of that, this t will need more plant cover elevated around the wood.

Your enclosure is way too barren.

stuffnstuff

Arachnopeon
OP, just a heads up...that enclosure needs a LOT of work.

Wood should be wider and provide a platform to hunt from and stretch out on...twigs are useless.

On top of that, this t will need more plant cover elevated around the wood.

Your enclosure is way too barren.
Thanks for the info, I added a much thicker branch to lean onto the twigs and moved some twigs with the leaves up near the web so now the sling has way more area to web onto. I just kind of left the twig the sling was already on because it had already created a pretty thick web.

Arachnanoob95

Arachnopeon
Because they are. Search the forum, see how many TONS of threads start with "Help my Pink Toe is Dying/Dead/Not Doing well", THEN see how often you see that with ANY other genus of T in the WORLD. I guarantee you on this forum Avic genus is the leader w/that thread post.

You can do all types of bad things with a G. pulchripes or an albo or a GBB, etc and they will survive. Give an Avic the same crappy care, they often die.
That's why I said, 'with proper research'. If all new tarantula owners do their proper research, so husbandry errors aren't as easily made, then avics aren't that hard to keep. It's just that a lot of people still get them while believing older 'facts' about how to keep them, like super moist. If you research properly, it should be a really easy species to keep.
It might be less forgiving for husbandry mistakes, which beginners can make, but it certainly isn't a difficult one to keep.
Basically: Do your research & don't believe what pet shop employees tell you, and you're cool.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's why I said, 'with proper research'. If all new tarantula owners do their proper research, so husbandry errors aren't as easily made, then avics aren't that hard to keep. It's just that a lot of people still get them while believing older 'facts' about how to keep them, like super moist. If you research properly, it should be a really easy species to keep.
It might be less forgiving for husbandry mistakes, which beginners can make, but it certainly isn't a difficult one to keep.
Basically: Do your research & don't believe what pet shop employees tell you, and you're cool.
Agree.....Key words "proper research", where most first time owners don't as evidence by the threads. Thus it's not the best starter species out of the sac ;)