C. versicolor Rehouse Technique

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Rehoused my new C. versicolor sling today. I didn't get any pics of the actual deed...I was not wanting to complicate things, but thought the process might be interesting. It went well, took about 5 minutes as the sling was a bit testy! I persevered and all is well and right with the world.

I used a 4" square of acrylic that I bored a hole in the middle just smaller than the vial it came in.

Then I used a plastic cup with holes melted into it. Notice the oblong holes, they help with using a prodding stick (I used a piece of 80lb test mono-filament)

Once you prod up the T into the cup, then slip a piece of card stock underneath.

Now you can pick the whole lot up and move it to the new enclosure. Just slip out the cardstock and gently prod the T into it's new home.

The peanut butter Jar enclosure.

The obligatory crappy cell phone pic of the T in the new enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
Haha, you seriously over complicated a very simple thing.:p . Glad it worked for you.

ItsFebreze

Arachnopeon
Seems like a good idea for old world arboreals, not sure I'd use it for much else though.

MondoMundo

Arachnosquire
Haha, you seriously over complicated a very simple thing.:p . Glad it worked for you.
I pretty much did the same thing yesterday for a p.irminia sling! Just to be on the safe side coz it’s fairly quick on its feet! How do you do it?

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Hmm, I figure it makes for good practice for when I might have a "faster" OW. I don't think it was all that complicated either. I certainly felt more relaxed about the process!

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
May be more complex than using a catch cup, but the risk of an escape is minimized to near zero, so it's all good.

The Dark Den used to use this method (or something very similar) for rehousing faster spiders, and it's very effective.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
May be more complex than using a catch cup, but the risk of an escape is minimized to near zero, so it's all good.

The Dark Den used to use this method (or something very similar) for rehousing faster spiders, and it's very effective.
Chasing a very fast spider around the house would be way more complicated, IMO! All T's have the ability to move very fast. Hell, I can't catch a lateralis roach to save my life. That makes my T's waaaaay faster than me!

cold blood

Staff member
I pretty much did the same thing yesterday for a p.irminia sling! Just to be on the safe side coz it’s fairly quick on its feet! How do you do it?
I could see it for a beginner with irminia....thryre stupid fast and dont stop.

For an avic type sling its differrent, they bolt in short bursts and are just not the "get lost" risk other speedy ts might be. I just hold the container they are in next to the new one and guide them into the new home with a tweezers or my fingers.

Avic type slings, most anyway (Ybyrapora are an exception IME), are really easy. Adults are only a pain because theyre stubborn and refuse to move far or fast...but still not something id worry about losing during a re house.

chasing a very fast spider around the house would be way more complicated, IMO! All
Practice is always good. Avics wont typically leave you chasing though as i explained...making them great for practicing re housing....id save the tools for the OWs, Tappies and Psalms.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Remember, arboreals T's always goes for the top = master the ability to predict/expect that, and you're golden, like a wise Chinese of the past (Sun Tzu, if I'm not wrong) once said :bored:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Psalmos are easy, put the opening of the old enclosure next to the opening of the new enclosure and then coax it from one enclosure to the other, 99.9% of the time they just run straight into bottom of the new enclosure without any hassle whatsoever, Avics are much more of a pain in the arse because they never go where you want them to.

Hell, I can't catch a lateralis roach to save my life.
Apparently I'm the Mr Miyagi of gigantic clumsy Ogryn :troll:

MondoMundo

Arachnosquire
Psalmos are easy, put the opening of the old enclosure next to the opening of the new enclosure and then coax it from one enclosure to the other, 99.9% of the time they just run straight into bottom of the new enclosure without any hassle whatsoever, Avics are much more of a pain in the arse because they never go where you want them to.

Apparently I'm the Mr Miyagi of gigantic clumsy Ogryn :troll:
I did a C.marshalli rehouse earlier this eve that one wasn’t as easy! Tends to come towards disturbance instead of away! And then either fights or refuses to move! How do you go about those yourself? I wouldn’t mind a few pointers!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I did a C.marshalli rehouse earlier this eve that one wasn’t as easy! Tends to come towards disturbance instead of away! And then either fights or refuses to move! How do you go about those yourself? I wouldn’t mind a few pointers!
Use their "Fight meh, hooman" mentality to get them in the open and then catch cup them. Then leave the open catch cup in the new enclosure and let the T come out of its own accord.

Either that or I engage in a game of "which of us is the most stubborn prick" until they cave and go where I want them to.

Asian fossorials are less fun as they can switch from "slap merchant" to "rogue teleporter" in an instant. Doing rehouses inside a larger container can help prevent escapes.