C. tenebricosa springtails in planted tank--experiences?

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
I searched for "Tenebricosa" and "pink springtails" and didn't find anything quite on point. I want to introduce some more springtails to a new planted arboreal tank (no current inhabitant--getting it stabilized and experimenting with it first). I understand that C. tenbricosa, the tropical pink springtail, is a good choice because it will travel onto dry soil as well, and most of my moisture is around the plants and in the lower levels, drier on top. But, I've also read they can get out of control quickly, and can even attack plants if in large numbers, which are my concerns.

Wondering if anyone has ever tried these and had any good or bad experiences. I had introduced some traditional F. candida but I had a localized mold problem on the top of the soil that I'd like to address (not a moisture issue--I did something stupid and sprinkled some springtail food on top of the soil, and wet it down--mold ensued. It has been physically removed, but want a better CUC anyway). The F. candida were babies, and also I've read they really don't leave the moist areas.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
When it gets too dry for them they will leave the enclosure through any hole and find another one. There's almost nothing you can do to stop it. Put a few springtails in and every enclosure will have springtails eventually.

IME, using Collembola sp. "Whatever I got"
They are indeed unmanageable but they do not cause any problems. I have thousands all from a colony of 20 in a deli cup. They haven't gone after any plants, and their population seems to self regulate with the amount of food they can find in my enclosures.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Ok great, that's good to hear, thanks. I agree having springtails in my other enclosures would not be the end of the world, assuming that they don't cause issues. 😁. Half of my enclosures are kept bone dry, so I doubt they would be particularly interested; and the ones where I add some humidity could likely benefit from them, anyway.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
In your dry tanks, they will end up in water dishes. If you catch them before they drown you can just blow them out (not at the direction of a setae bearing inhabitant of course). Then you can redirect them to a tank you want them in.