C. Sculpts and the issues of a sting with young children.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, I've logged back in here just to discuss this topic. I have been stung many times by C. Sculpts. My daughter was stung when she was 3 by one. They live here and are wild, no stings from critters in enclosures.

I have spoken to two different parents in Las Vegas (amongst many other people) about getting a sting from them. I've talked to a nurse who said they are not "poisonous" (yes, I corrected her... both her and her daughter were stung with no issues aka. dry sting) and many other people in the Las Vegas Valley. Two parents on two different occasions have told me something I was in awe of. Both of there children (under five years of age at the time of sting) had seizures and hallucinations as well extreme pain and other issues. Both of the little ones ended up in the hospital for at least 2-3 days.

Both stings were witnessed by the parents, they scorpions ID were C. sculpts

Have you all heard of stings with results like this?
My daughter was stung when she was three, thankfully her reaction was five minutes of severe pain and an hour of mild pain. She relaxed on the way to the hospital, so I turned the car around.

I've had stings from extreme pain to nothing at all... depending on each critter. The worst was from a wild baby that I accidentally stepped on .

aznative86

Arachnosquire
I live near a 100+ acre hay farm in the SE Valley of AZ we got them all over the back yard, I just remove them, spray... best way to prevent is to spray your home and use DE, and go out every night and remove them, put screen covers over your bathroom vent fans. These are things that need to be done especially if you have small children... I got over 50 barks in captivity and two 6 year olds, not one sting, and never will be one. Good prevention will not allow that to happen, I have heard myself that a lot of these will do dry stings, I call it luck. The side effects your talking about are more than likely a allergic reaction of some kind, each person is effected differently. Good luck.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I spray, hunt them and everything else. Every once in a while I find them in the house. It's called life in the desert. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this extreme reaction to them stinging small/young children.

Now on the dry stings, I've had dry stings and wet stings from them... the worst stings have always been from the younger scorpions (that's my experience at least).

Thanks for the reply, aznative:)

aznative86

Arachnosquire
Was the reaction your talking about with the kids from little scorps? or larger ones... I know many times I have heard out here that the small barks dont know how to control their venom release so they just pump it all out in one shot, that could be a reason why those reactions happen if it came from a smaller one. Glad your lil ones are okay! its my biggest fear that the kiddos get hit by them.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpions can control the amount of venom they inject a dry sting is just the scorpion trying to push you away. To date the worst most painful sting was a full on (scorpion was attached to my finger for several seconds) C.sculp sting. Man...did it hurt. The pain shot up to my arm and shoulder and the soreness lasted 2 weeks. I can imagine this would be more painful to a young child as I'm about 5'11 and 270 lbs.

aznative86

Arachnosquire
Maybe its just the ones out here in Arizona lol, the entire 26 years I have been around every person I have talked to that has been stung get it way worse from the little ones, it would be interesting if there was a way to actually prove it or not... I mean maybe they are just really pissed off considering it reaches over 120 out there haha.

KDiiX

Arachnobaron
Many so called "not medical significant" scorpions have very mild effects on grown ups but sometimes even very dangerous effects on children. That's just because the amount of venom per kg bodyweight is double or triple as high as at grownups. That has nothing to do with allergic reactions its just a matter of the concentration of venom in the body. That's why you always should be careful with children even if you have "mild" scorpions ;-)