C.nitidus mutants

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i just checked them out. they are both very cool, especially the scorpions forum.

thanks

Nungunugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I forghot to post it here:

It molted without problems. I am pretty confident, that it will make it to adulthood.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, I am amaze everytime i see a picture of it. you are one lucky guy.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thay are great.I wonder if that a passable gene.I would grow them up and inbreed them.
To see if it is passed to there young.You wouldn't need to inbreed the 2 double tailed
ones.Just lets inbreed with any of the clutch.If it is a passable trait.All members of the
clutch will be carrying that trait and might reproduce double.By the third generation of
inbreeding clutches you should produce close to 100%.Double tailed young.If it is a
passable trait.It would a great project.

Last edited:

bkelley02

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is incredible. As Satellite Rob said, would be interesting to see if you could breed for that trait.

alexi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So does it have a double digestive/resperatory tract then? or does it just split where the metasoma splits? I guess it probably just splits. It can probably eat more than a regular scorp since it has two tails to feed!!!

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i was under the impression that it is not a passable gene but just a simple mutation.

John

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i was under the impression that it is not a passable gene but just a simple mutation.

John
But aren't certain mutations passable. Of course recessive but say you get two mutated scorpions you'd probably have a higher chance of getting another one.

i just checked them out. they are both very cool, especially the scorpions forum.
thanks
Thank You :D

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But aren't certain mutations passable. Of course recessive but say you get two mutated scorpions you'd probably have a higher chance of getting another one.
I think that mutations are passable, at least that's what i was taught in biology class anyway. the mutations that help an organism to survive and breed, will get pass down as survival tools.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If this is a genetic mutation, it does mean that the scorp's entire genome possesses it. It may be possible to pass it to offspring, but I have a funny feeling that the mutant will be sterile.

However, it is also possible that this could be a like a Siamese twin, and is actually 2 embryos that fused. Or there could have been some kind of other developmental problem that caused a single embryo to partially split early in development. In those cases, the mutation is not genetic and cannot be passed down.

Either way, I hope the little bugger makes it to adulthood.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that it's a mutation within the gene because the brood originally had two scorplings with 2 tails but one of them didn't make it.

if it is two embryos that fused together, then i think that you would see this occurs more often.

how long does it takes for this species to reach maturity?

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
freaking amazing, as soon as i saw this i called all my roommates in to see it and then posted it to a few people i was talking to via AIM...everyone was amazed. if theres anyway to help the thing thru a molt would that increase chances of having it reach successful adulthood without problems? and if it were to by chance lose one of the tails would it be problematic or would it just straighten itself out through its molts and look normal by adulthood. these are questions i would love to know.

BTW: whats the common name on these guys, i tried looking them up and couldnt find anything...they are very pretty when full grown id love to maybe own one...with or without a double tail lol.

Last edited:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the last question was a pretty good one because the other one that died due to a bad molt got one of its tails stuck toward the end near the stinger. the owner should have cut it off and see if the little guy would survive.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BTW: whats the common name on these guys, i tried looking them up and couldnt find anything...they are very pretty when full grown id love to maybe own one...with or without a double tail lol.
I don't think there's a common name.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thay are great.I wonder if that a passable gene.I would grow them up and inbreed them.
To see if it is passed to there young.You wouldn't need to inbreed the 2 double tailed
ones.Just lets inbreed with any of the clutch.If it is a passable trait.All members of the
clutch will be carrying that trait and might reproduce double.By the third generation of
inbreeding clutches you should produce close to 100%.Double tailed young.If it is a
passable trait.It would a great project.

Since there is more than 1 in the clutch.I would think it is a passable trait.
If thay were mine.I would give it a try.It would be a great breeding project.
What do you have to lose.But a little time.You don't have any investment
because you already own them.There are alot of people that will pay alot
money for freaks.If it is a passable trait all the young carry it.Even the ones
that look normal.

Last edited:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it is a passable trait all the young carry it.Even the ones that look normal.
hey i didn't even think of that, but i think that you could be right about that. If i was the owner, then i would try inbreeding the ones that look normal because there is a good possibility of them having 2 tailed offsprings.

good thinking there Satellite Rob:clap:!!!

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Kyuzo,
If it was a real freak of nature.It would be like a million to one shot and to
get 2 in 1 clutch.I could begin to figure out the odds.Well it odds would be
atronomical.That means thay would all have the trait.So that if you breed
any 2 of them.Double tailed or not.Thay should produce about 1/3 double
tailed young and every generation after should produce a higher percentage.
By the third or fourth generation will produce 100% double tailed Scorps.I cant
beleave there was 2 from 1 clutch.That means the trait is already fairly stronge.