c.faciatum growth rate?

VinceG

Arachnobaron
I'm don't own one, but from what I've heard, they grow quickly!

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
I got a sling in early April (Swifts).. It molted right when I got it and then again a few days ago... went from about 3/8" to 7/8" in that time period. The tiger-striping on the abdomen is just starting to come through clearly.

>>"If it bleeds, we can kill it."<<

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
in my experience with this species, they grow quickly up untill they hit the 2 inch mark. Then they seem to slow down quite a bit.

My female grew to 2 inches in a year, and since reaching that point seems to have stopped growing.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay thanks!and how big do they grow?i heard that they are a dwarf species.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
okay thanks!and how big do they grow?i heard that they are a dwarf species.
They're a small species, but I'm not sure if they're small enough to be classed as a dwarf. I think 3 inches and less is considered a dwarf and C. fasciatum grows to be 3.5-4 inches from what I've read.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a sack prodused on new years day,and as of right now they are penny sized at best. Slow growers IMHO.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
C. fasciatum get about 3.75 usually . 4in at the most . Dwarf species are like 2" or 3" .

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Generally, growth rate is directly proportional to temperature and frequency of feeding.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Generally, growth rate is directly proportional to temperature and frequency of feeding.
mine are at 80 degrees,and are fed weekly. Some are still 2nd instar after all the time.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd call their growth rate about a fast medium. Anybody calling them slow apparently hasn't raised Aphonopelma slings. They are truly slow. In 2 years you can go from sling to adult with a well fed C. fasciatum. In that same time an Aphonopelma might molt twice and still be smaller than a penny.

Max size is 4"-4.5" with males pften being considerably smaller.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i would say 4.5 to 5 inches on size. i have seen them get rather large.

yes, they are adult at 4 or so. but i have personally seen a 6 inch specimen. actually she had a date with my male. so i wouldnt say their top size. but rather average size is 4 to 4.5 inches.

its true aphonopelma are slow growing, but you cant even compare these to this genus/species. C. fasciatum are decent growers untill the 2 to 3 inch mark and slow down tremendously. i keep all my T's at 78F, fed once a week(rather nice size meal) and my 2 year old C. fasciatum female is right at 2.5 inches.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In 2 years you can go from sling to adult with a well fed C. fasciatum. In that same time an Aphonopelma might molt twice and still be smaller than a penny.
How is "well fed" defined here, Ethan? Just curio.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im not Ethan , but well fed means "more" . If you have ts at a good temperature and feed them more than they need , they would get larger in a smaller period of time .

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im not Ethan , but well fed means "more" . If you have ts at a good temperature and feed them more than they need , they would get larger in a smaller period of time .
With respect, the question was directed at Ethan and his personal experience/opinions. I was after something a little more specific than what you provided.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess I'd call "well fed" in this case anything more than once every other week. Honestly, once I've become familiar with a certain T's metabolism I just go by fatness of the abdomen. If you keep your T's healthy but trim they won't grow as fast as if you keep them, yaknow, fat. (As most keepers do)

And of course temps play an equally significant role.

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess I'd call "well fed" in this case anything more than once every other week. Honestly, once I've become familiar with a certain T's metabolism I just go by fatness of the abdomen. If you keep your T's healthy but trim they won't grow as fast as if you keep them, yaknow, fat. (As most keepers do)

And of course temps play an equally significant role.
Cheers. :)

fretman08

Arachnosquire
in my experience with this species, they grow quickly up untill they hit the 2 inch mark. Then they seem to slow down quite a bit.

My female grew to 2 inches in a year, and since reaching that point seems to have stopped growing.
I agree. A few days after I got mine it molted and then it only semmed like a few weeks later that it molted again. But then it slowed down drastically.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I raised a C. fasciatum from 3/4" spiderling, to mature male in two years. But at that time I was "power feeding". He got a cricket three times a week, and the house was fairly warm - 70*-72* in winter, 75* or higher during summer)