C. Cyaneopubescens and H2O

stargell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My C. Cyaneo is currently stooped over its water dish drinking away. It has been there for a good ten minutes. Since I rarely catch my T's drinking I consider this a lucky siting.

Woop, it just finally moved away. :)

Is it typical for T's to drink so slowly? Is it species specific? Any scientific and/OR anecdotal information would be interesting to me if you have any.

As a side note, I was getting ready to discard the dish because I heard it was enough to mist the webbing for this species. But after seeing how heartily it drank from the dish, I think I'm just going to leave it in.

Steven.WK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes it is normal for them to take a long drink since they don't drink often. You should leave the water dish as it also helps maintain the moisture.

stargell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I suppose that makes sense. Since they come from a rather dry region I imagine that they would drink long and hard when they came across a good opportunity to do so.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My GBB is a mature male now and I've never seen him drink. I have seen some of my other T's drink, but as a general rule they seem to do it slowly. I wouldn't worry.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, you should leave the water dish since this does give them the option to drink. Most water dishes do not have enough surface area though to significantly raise the humidity level, though they do considerably more than simply misting alone. Also, C. cyaneopubescens is a species that does much better in drier conditions. Their natural environment is quite arid.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My GBB would be dead if it wasn't for a water dish, along with a number of other T's I have. Probably once every molt cycle, it will NEED water. It refuses to eat, and starts stilting.

As for the duration... T's are very slow drinkers. My E. Pachypus is my most prolific water drinker. She can sit and drink for nearly 24hrs straight.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that not everyone agrees with me, but I give all my T's some water-- even the tiniest slings. There is always some shallow cap of some sort I can convert. I just got 6 new slings a couple of weeks ago, and have seen every one of them in the water bowls numerous times. It made me feel better -- and apparently they needed the drinks! Some people worry that the slings will drown, but if the cap is shallow and small, they will be ok.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My suggestion would be to leave the dish and not mist with this species. I've heard they are very sensitive to moisture (since they are from such an arid region) and do not do well in more humid set-ups. Not that misting really raises the humidity all that much unless you drench the substrate, but still it's not necessary unless with a very small sling. I'd just stick with the water dish.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for me it depends on the T. I mist the webs of my avics but the rest of the Ts I make sure the have a water dish even the small ones get a soda pop cap if they are over 1". after my avics hit 3" i usually put in a water dish but their webs hold water much better then other Ts webs so I like to use their web as a dish tell 3" for the avics.
scott