Buying a Black Widow in the UK?

Flicker543

Arachnopeon
Hello, so I've been trying to look into getting a black widow here in the UK. If anyone has any experience in this area, specifically, I'm looking to know where to buy one. I've researched and I know I need to get a license from my local council, though that shouldn't be too hard. I have a good idea of how to keep them, though that shouldn't be too hard either. the part I'm having trouble with is how I can go about buying some. If anyone has experience with this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hello, so I've been trying to look into getting a black widow here in the UK. If anyone has any experience in this area, specifically, I'm looking to know where to buy one. I've researched and I know I need to get a license from my local council, though that shouldn't be too hard. I have a good idea of how to keep them, though that shouldn't be too hard either. the part I'm having trouble with is how I can go about buying some. If anyone has experience with this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The first thing you need to do is contact your local council. Each and every council decide on what is required. From enclosures to the room and the price they charge.

So I'd definitely contact them and explain you'd like to apply for a DWA license and if they've issued 1 before.

1 council might simply require hot inverts to be kept in enclosures that have secure lids and charge £300 for the vet visit and the 2 year license.

Another council might want double enclosures and a double door system into the room and charge £2000.

Flicker543

Arachnopeon
The first thing you need to do is contact your local council. Each and every council decide on what is required. From enclosures to the room and the price they charge.

So I'd definitely contact them and explain you'd like to apply for a DWA license and if they've issued 1 before.

1 council might simply require hot inverts to be kept in enclosures that have secure lids and charge £300 for the vet visit and the 2 year license.

Another council might want double enclosures and a double door system into the room and charge £2000.
Thanks, I'll get in contact with my council first then, I know a few who work there pretty well and a Councillor is my neighbour so I'm hoping they shouldn't go crazy with the requirements.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks, I'll get in contact with my council first then, I know a few who work there pretty well and a Councillor is my neighbour so I'm hoping they shouldn't go crazy with the requirements.
Hopefully they'll be fine and be reasonable but sadly there's no set way or annoyingly price. Also the fact a vet, who might well have zero experience of keeping DWA gets to decide if your set up is suitable is utterly ridiculous.

Flicker543

Arachnopeon
Hopefully they'll be fine and be reasonable but sadly there's no set way or annoyingly price. Also the fact a vet, who might well have zero experience of keeping DWA gets to decide if your set up is suitable is utterly ridiculous.
Yeah, I'll give it a go and see what becomes of it, hopefully it works out, I would really like one, their great spiders

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I'll give it a go and see what becomes of it, hopefully it works out, I would really like one, their great spiders
Oh aye. Absolutely beautiful spiders. Plus there's little chance them ever escaping unlike say Phoneutria sp.

akazaran

Arachnopeon
That might be a stupid question but arent vets qualified for this? I mean I would not be surpised that they have a few hours of class about how to keep venomeous animals safely...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That might be a stupid question but arent vets qualified for this? I mean I would not be surpised that they have a few hours of class about how to keep venomeous animals safely...
Don't know about UK but here in Italy vets knows nothing about venomous poisonous buggers like arachnids, 'pedes etc they are class (well, depends...) with dogs and cats and maybe and I say mabe, with some 'social accepted' "exotic" animals like parrots, iguanas etc but no way around those.

When I was on my quest for bring Barbara into my bed (a hottie vet living near me) and I bringed (for a joke) my adult 'pede to her clinic, all of a sudden everyone started to freak out and I had to escape! :pompous:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have a good friend who’s a vet. Every time she visits to see my dogs we spend a significant amount of time in the spider room, exclusively me answering her questions.

basin79

ArachnoGod
No. Well they don't have to be. A vet can turn up to inspect your set up and might have never had any previous experience with spiders or nothing beyond simply seeing them in their enclosures.