buy a rose hair get a poecilotheria

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey peeps,

I went to a local pet shop today to see what they had in stock. there was a small critter keeper that said rose hair $10.99 when i picked it up to get a closer look it ran down into the corner. i could only see it enough to know it wasn't a rose hair so i asked the person behind the counter if it was mis-labeled because it didn't look like a rose hair she said with attitude "yeah it is" so i thought your loss i'll take it well when i get home i do a lil research and find out it's a Poe. my concern is when i went to get my first T the only thing i knew about rose hair's was that it was docile. what if somebody would have gone in there thinkin there gettin' a rose hair for their first T brought it home and tryed to handle it... this pet shop also has a problem with neglect ohh what to do what to do ?????

leo3375

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what I've read, poecilotherians (pokies) are very fast, aggressive, and pack a bite that would likely require a hospital visit. They are also arboreal so you'll need to provide an enclosure that is taller than it is wide. Explore this site and listen to those who have experience with these Ts.

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
leo3375 said:
From what I've read, poecilotherians (pokies) are very fast, aggressive, and pack a bite that would likely require a hospital visit. They are also arboreal so you'll need to provide an enclosure that is taller than it is wide. Explore this site and listen to those who have experience with these Ts.

i know in fact i'm problly just gonna see if i can sex it then sell it because it's something i really cant handle right now

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You gotta love petshops; I'm beginning to think it's a requirement that all Ts be mislabeled. One of the two local petstores here has 3 redknees, only one of which is a redknee; the other has a cobalt blue which happens to be a rosehair..
Congrats on the Poec; they're some of my fave spiders.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Pokies give painful bites sometimes but I think it's exaggerating to say they'd require a hospital visit...

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dekejis said:
You gotta love petshops; I'm beginning to think it's a requirement that all Ts be mislabeled. One of the two local petstores here has 3 redknees, only one of which is a redknee; the other has a cobalt blue which happens to be a rosehair..
Congrats on the Poec; they're some of my fave spiders.

LoL yeah i know they had 2 red knees that didn't have a price on them so i asked how much and she said $10.99 i quickly replied i'll take both she said let me call the boss to make sure and the true price was $55.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
XxAWoLxX said:
LoL yeah i know they had 2 red knees that didn't have a price on them so i asked how much and she said $10.99 i quickly replied i'll take both she said let me call the boss to make sure and the true price was $55.
lol, looks like your eagerness blew the deal.
would a pokie run down and hide? or would it rather retreat to higher ground?

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
chuck said:
would a pokie run down and hide? or would it rather retreat to higher ground?

that's what confusses me, there is a slight burrow in the critter keeper also but ever since i brought it home it's been at the top??(where the door is of course)

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whats the size on your new little guy or gal? Its damn near impossible for me to tell most of the pokies apart until they get quite a bit of size to them. I also got a good deal with some, but thankfully, I know what mine are.. you could have quite a nice surprise in store for you and not even realize it !!

My largest is just over 2", and I have to say, they are nothing like most people warned me about. They are pretty low-key, and prefer running and hiding in there trees, to outright attack. Get to know yours for a bit before you make up your mind about selling. You may actually decide its worth the extra bit of caution and care.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What species of Poecilotheria is it? I don't know where thye got the reputation of being "aggressive" from - the worst I've seen is a mild threat posture from a P.ornata.

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ker said:
Whats the size on your new little guy or gal? Its damn near impossible for me to tell most of the pokies apart until they get quite a bit of size to them. I also got a good deal with some, but thankfully, I know what mine are.. you could have quite a nice surprise in store for you and not even realize it !!

My largest is just over 2", and I have to say, they are nothing like most people warned me about. They are pretty low-key, and prefer running and hiding in there trees, to outright attack. Get to know yours for a bit before you make up your mind about selling. You may actually decide its worth the extra bit of caution and care.

i'm guessing 2.5" maybe 3" maybe more that's by leg span it's hard to tell because it hasn't streched out yet i'm getting ready to switch he/she into a bigger home then i'll get a good mesurement

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lopez said:
What species of Poecilotheria is it? I don't know where thye got the reputation of being "aggressive" from - the worst I've seen is a mild threat posture from a P.ornata.

i'm not sure i know it has yellow on the under side???

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it has a beige band on the underside it is probably a P.regalis (Indian Ornamental ) I have a large female about 7 inches or so....great looking spider and good eaters and mine will run and hide as opposed to being overly defensive...if possible take a pic of the little beauty...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
If it has a beige band on the underside it is probably a P.regalis (Indian Ornamental ) I have a large female about 7 inches or so....great looking spider and good eaters and mine will run and hide as opposed to being overly defensive...if possible take a pic of the little beauty...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

r the regalis the only poe's with bands????

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No they all have some sort of bands underneath but most likely its a P.regalis If ya want to sell it my husband might be interested he loves the Pokies anyways :)

XxAWoLxX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
rosehaired1979 said:
No they all have some sort of bands underneath but most likely its a P.regalis If ya want to sell it my husband might be interested he loves the Pokies anyways :)

ok let me think on it a couple of days and i'll let you know :)

wineorebellion

Arachnopeon
surprise surprise

so the local pet store has mixed up a Poecliotheria with a rose hair, oh thats an honset mistake , yeah right ! did they really want somone to get bit, man the bite on one of those is no joke, see pet store ive always said are more interested in the dollar than a quality sale, and the correct info, I saw this place Petland in Orange, attempting to sell a starburst baboon to a first timer, I was offended, and yes I stopped the sale LOL ! I mean after the sales person said oh no its not agressive Im sorry i had to draw the line, I just picked up my first Poec. two days ago, she is a 2 yr old female, fast and the females from my expierece seem to be less agressive than a male, need a verticle aquruim as this is an arboreal specie, but Im sure you know this, expensive spider !

Smulkin

Arachnopeon
Too rich. I hooked up with a b.smithi which was labeled as a Rosehair - they continually INSISTED it WAS - so I stopped arguing and bought it. Instead of caveat emptor it turned into caveat proprietor . . . i did refuse the continued insistence that i buy the requisite sponge and sand. ;P