Burst abdomen

Holtrend

Arachnopeon
My tarantula fell and burst its abdomen extremely bad this was about an hour ago I put its butt in a bottle cap with petroleum jelly not a lot so when it moved it drags a bottle cap around but it’s not bleeding anymore, she’s in a stressed out stance her legs aren’t curled I don’t actually know what to do I just know petroleum is like a barricade

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Without a picture to judge anything by, this sounds very bad. It’s not clear but did it fall while attempting to handle it? Did it fall inside the enclosure? How far, and how exactly did it fall?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
How does your tarantula fall? If the enclosure and care is adequate then a fall wouldn't be prevalent. I hope your tarantula pulls through, wish you luck.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I believe flour is generally preferred over using something like petroleum jelly to staunch any leaking fluids on a T.

Please provide pictures of the T, and inform us how this fall occurred so we can help prevent future incidents if the T survives and serve as a cautionary tale to people who think fall hazards aren't worth taking precautions for.

Holtrend

Arachnopeon
Without a picture to judge anything by, this sounds very bad. It’s not clear but did it fall while attempting to handle it? Did it fall inside the enclosure? How far, and how exactly did it fall?
It fell when my boyfriend tried to hand it to me and it decided to learn how to fly it fell more than 4ft I haven’t check up on him he’s been hanging against the corner

EvilTrailMix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It fell when my boyfriend tried to hand it to me and it decided to learn how to fly it fell more than 4ft I haven’t check up on him he’s been hanging against the corner
That's quite a drop. Doesn't sound good, unfortunately. Photos would help.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Given this statement I truly believe the creature would be better off if it died.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Ts don't like being handled, and indeed will "decide to learn how to fly" if they want to escape. Really not a pet that should be handled, this situation case and point. I'd recommend in the future not doing so, especially while it's recovering from it's injury if it doesn't die from it.

Not gonna lie, a fall from that high definitely sounds like it'll end up fatal. The most you can really do at this point (aside from providing images to better assess the severity of the situation) is to make sure the rupture is sealed and let the T be. Provide a source of fresh water so that the T can re-hydrate as necessary since ruptures leak a lot of fluids. If the area that burst hardens and your T seems to be hanging in there, you'll want to get it through to the next molt so that it can hopefully heal from the injury. But you'll want to be cautious with feeding, as overfeeding could potentially cause the wound to reopen. In the unlikely event that it does survive to it's next molt, it may not be able to molt successfully and could die in the process if the old exuvia is stuck to the new one. Ruptures are practically the worst injury a tarantula could have.

What species is your tarantula, by the way?

Last edited:

Holtrend

Arachnopeon
Ts don't like being handled, and indeed will "decide to learn how to fly" if they want to escape. Really not a pet that should be handled, this situation case and point. I'd recommend in the future not doing so, especially while it's recovering from it's injury if it doesn't die from it.

Not gonna lie, a fall from that high definitely sounds like it'll end up fatal. The most you can really do at this point (aside from providing images to better assess the severity of the situation) is to make sure the rupture is sealed and let the T be. Provide a source of fresh water so that the T can re-hydrate as necessary since ruptures leak a lot of fluids. If the area that burst hardens and your T seems to be hanging in there, you'll want to get it through to the next molt so that it can hopefully heal from the injury. But you'll want to be cautious with feeding, as overfeeding could potentially cause the wound to reopen. In the unlikely event that it does survive to it's next molt, it may not be able to molt successfully and could die in the process if the old exuvia is stuck to the new one. Ruptures are practically the worst injury a tarantula could have.

What species is your tarantula, by the way?
It’s stripped leg I think he died I haven’t seen him move in a while it’s abdomen was completely split in half I wasn’t the one trying to handle him my boyfriend got excited over having him and he kept picking it up and showing it to everyone since I’m a girl he doesn’t listen to anything I say or recommend he hasn’t even set up the cage at this point I told him no heat lamp (we live in south Florida, he said it’s his and that’s what he wants to do.. he’s basically been carrying it around for hours at this point and I just wanted him to leave it alone we just got it today but “it’s mine I bought it” he blames me when he tried handing it to me after running around and he just bolted 4 ft in the air, tile floor like a zipper it opened.. tried petroleum flour and tried containing it 😢 the level of anxiety I had trying to help him Idk but he keeps pointing the fingers at me like I’m a tarantula expert he wants to get another one.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I wasn’t the one trying to handle him my boyfriend got excited over having him and he kept picking it up and showing it to everyone since I’m a girl he doesn’t listen to anything I say or recommend...he keeps pointing the fingers at me like I’m a tarantula expert he wants to get another one.
Sounds like an inconsiderate jerk. Not the type of person who I'd want as a partner, since he clearly has no respect for animals or for you.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
It’s stripped leg I think he died I haven’t seen him move in a while it’s abdomen was completely split in half I wasn’t the one trying to handle him my boyfriend got excited over having him and he kept picking it up and showing it to everyone since I’m a girl he doesn’t listen to anything I say or recommend he hasn’t even set up the cage at this point I told him no heat lamp (we live in south Florida, he said it’s his and that’s what he wants to do.. he’s basically been carrying it around for hours at this point and I just wanted him to leave it alone we just got it today but “it’s mine I bought it” he blames me when he tried handing it to me after running around and he just bolted 4 ft in the air, tile floor like a zipper it opened.. tried petroleum flour and tried containing it 😢 the level of anxiety I had trying to help him Idk but he keeps pointing the fingers at me like I’m a tarantula expert he wants to get another one.
That's rough. Sorry the T didn't make it. Your boyfriend sounds like a real piece of work, to put it politely, if he's blaming you after spending the whole day carrying it around and showing it off like some party favor. It'd seem to me he had no business owning the T that died, let alone getting another one that'll likely meet the same fate if he treats it the same way he treated the other one.

Holtrend

Arachnopeon
in the entire time we had him I handled him once For like 3 minutes I don’t like insects then my boyfriend took it from me and went running around with it again
Sounds like an inconsiderate jerk. Not the type of person who I'd want as a partner, since he clearly has no respect for animals or for you.
yea I can’t stop him tbh every reptile he’s owned died I actually sold off his last 2 bearded dragons that his friend gave him cause he boasts about knowing how to care for reptiles but they were sitting in the same shed so I quickly sold them off he actually has 3 giant snakes in the shed there with bedding that hasn’t been changed in over a year in the dark I feel extremely terrible for what happened I didn’t mean too hurt it 😣

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
You are still young. Time to find someone that gives you joy instead of stress. Rip for ur T

Jess S

Arachnobaron
As someone who chose some crappy boyfriends in my youth, I feel qualified to say, leave this idiot. Is this the guy you want to settle down and have kids with someday? Do you think he'll be a good father, seeing as how he treats his animals? Walk away while your still young , you will find a better man, I promise.

Holtrend

Arachnopeon
As someone who chose some crappy boyfriends in my youth, I feel qualified to say, leave this idiot. Is this the guy you want to settle down and have kids with someday? Do you think he'll be a good father, seeing as how he treats his animals? Walk away while your still young , you will find a better man, I promise.
I already have a kid with him he’s a good father when he wants to use points in saying he takes care of my daughter in the cumulative 5-10 minutes he spends in a 24 hour day and I’m a bad mom 🥴 hate to turn the thread into this but even though I’m not a bug person Don’t like touching multi legged crawlers it still hit the same I keep looking into the cage for movement I know the next one he gets he’s gonna act like the professional T handler and I can’t touch it cause everything is my fault when the only time I initiated touching him was to put him in the cage which obviously didn’t get to happen 🤦‍♀️ Fighting with myself on who’s fault it was

cold blood

Staff member
FWIW, most experenced and educated t owners never handle any of their ts...theyre observational pets, like fish...not something to hold like a hamster....you see firsthand why.

HankyPankyRoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow. This sounds familiar. Get rid of him. You'll be better off, trust me. Don't waste 20+ years like I did. Life is short, and you and your child deserve better. He sounds like a narcissist.🙄