Burrowing tarantula that you can suggest

petlover02

Arachnopeon
Any suggestions for a burrowing tarantula? I want that will surely burrow and make multiple tunnels{D Either old or new world species will (but prefer old) I already have a cobalt blue but I want more than a cobalt blue{D Thank you in advance!:worship:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My A. geniculata and one of my B. vagans are currently in burrowing mode. They have some rather amazing tunnel networks. My OBT is the currently reigning burrow king, even compared to my H. lividum.

Ephebopus murinus and Monocentropus balfouri are two of the top ten on my personal wish list.

Are you looking for an obligate burrower or opportunistic?

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H gigas, big burrower, occasional swimmer

my 2.5cm sling has dug approximately 15-20cm of tunnel in 24 hours. gotta love em when you rehouse them into proper depth substrate

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H. incei make some pretty amazing tunnel/web tube networks. They can also be kept in communal setups, and are fast growing. Awesome species imo.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1 to H. gigas. I keep mine in a 1/2 20gallon tank and she uses all of it, just underground. She very rarely comes out of her burrow(only when she decides to clean house). I would suggest keeping wood lice or millipedes with them as you don't want to dig up their home to remove a dead cricket.

Art

creepa

Arachnoknight
Pelinobius muticus, any Haplopelma, any Ceratogyrus, any Eucratoscelus and lots of Selenocosmia/Phlogius species.

And i bet thats not even half of them...

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I agree with the H. incei suggestion. Of all the spiders in my collection, mine has the most elaborate tunnels and tube webs. As a bonus, mine also likes to hang out in the open, so I actually get to see it and not just admire it's construction work.

They are really neat little spiders, everyone should have at least one in their collection.

2 of my B. vagans have some neat burrows going on, the other one, not so much. It just sits out in the open and tells me off when I do anything near it's enclosure.

My A. geniculata has also done a lot of burrowing.

Really, it all depends on what you are looking for in a spider. Since you already have an H. lividum, I would look for something that makes burrows/tube webs, but you will also get to see sometimes.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+1 to H. gigas. I keep mine in a 1/2 20gallon tank and she uses all of it, just underground. She very rarely comes out of her burrow(only when she decides to clean house). I would suggest keeping wood lice or millipedes with them as you don't want to dig up their home to remove a dead cricket.

Art
mine very kindly brings out all the bolus's and plants them in the water dish :)

synyster

Arachnobaron
My personal fav: C.lamanai. Burrows deep but like to come out in the open often.

+1 to H.gigas and H.incei

patrickbull

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My King Baboon Pelinobius muticus makes several different tunnels, and sometimes even changes up his designs lol. Other than the King I vote H. gigas also.