burrowers

arachnidsrck

Arachnopeon
hi i was wondering if any of you could help me out. I am looking for a good burrowing tarantula or scorpion ( but mostly tarantula ) i know i colbalt blue and the bird eaters but i can't think of any others please help.:? :?

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would agree that L.parahybana are good burrowers but IME only when they are young.
My best burrower is my aphnopelma chalcodes, (don't know how typical it is for this species though). No matter how much substrate I give her she never stops digging until she hits walls then starts turning corners etc until she has a cool network of tunnels going on.

Like I said though I don't know how usual this is for this species.

My M.robustum burrowed for a while but just hangs around on top of her self made cavern now :?

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also have an A. chalcodes that spends most of its time digging. If she is not eating or resting she is moving substrate constantly. The other A. chalcodes I have is quite content to use the supplied hide and does not try to burrow at all. So as far as what burrows and what doesn't I think you can make general statements by species, but each T is an individual and can act accordingly.

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd go for Hysterocrates gigas. I have a pair of Hysterocrates spp. "Nigeria" (probably H. laticeps) that have both tunneled to the bottom of their containers, and almost completely around the side. The total length is probably 1.5 feet. They'd go even further if I gave them the space.

Tim

arachnidsrck

Arachnopeon
thx

thanks for the help but what about a trap door spider does anybody have one or use to have one and has some advice for them?

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A. geniculata are fair burrowers too, they also grow pretty quick. I've been thinking of getting some Holothele incei too. They're a burrowing species that I've heard live communally (still looking for more info on that).

DaleGribble

Arachnopeon
My H. gigas is a proficient burrower, and I've seen some pics of cool H. schmidti burrows

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
Any Haplopelma or Chilobrachys for a start... Greg
not all Chilobrachys spp. – some have an arboreal live style (in nature).

all the best,
Martin

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
If you could supply a bit more details as to what you are looking for, it might be helpful. :)

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
not all Chilobrachys spp. – some have an arboreal live style (in nature).

all the best,
Martin
Thanks for correcting me, that is pretty much the only reason I have shied away from this Genus, I would appreciate it if you could tell me which species of Chilobrachys are arboreal? I would like to learn more about them... Thanks, Greg

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd recommend an H.Lividum(Cobalt Blue), E.Murinus(Skeleton) or any Haplopelma specie.

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Citharischius crawshayi, Haplopelma schmidti, or Hysterocrates hercules would be my top choices if I really wanted a burrower. The last one is pretty rare, but I have seen some for sale recently as spiderlings at decent prices. Please note though that all three are very large species and known to be on the agressive/defensive side (as T's go). All three are also old-world spiders and may have more poetent venom than most other species. :eek: Finally, the first species (C. crawshayi) is probably the slowet growing T available. :( They are fairly easy to get though. :)

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know they're really common, but my A. seemanis are burrowing fools!

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
burrowers..

so far my best burrowers are a seemani and p irminia heh. i made the majority of the burrow for the as but it made an extra entrance to the bottom chamber and has spent some time below. but usually comes out at night. the irminia has built a tube web/burrow around and under a piece of corkbark i placed in the kk. as soon as i touch the door to add water to the dish or throw in a cricket, it retreats to the burrow. its about 2 - 2.5"

ps...even though this is the wrong thread, i agree with you bonesmama...my seemani can be a tad on the dull side at times. it spent a decent amount of time down in its burrow...but i can see on the sides of the glass and have thick paper taped over so its cover when im not looking. but she looks great.

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

BugToxin said:
...Hysterocrates hercules would be my top choices if I really wanted a burrower. The last one is pretty rare, but I have seen some for sale recently as spiderlings at decent prices.
"Hysterocrates spp., What a mess!" >>click here<<

all the best,
Martin

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
Hi,

"Hysterocrates spp., What a mess!" >>click here<<

all the best,
Martin
Interesting read. I hadn't read that before, so thanks for the link!!! I still might get one though if I was into burrowers, as all members of the genus are known for making extensive tunnels. H. gigas seems to be available almost everywhere. I wonder if what we call H. gigas is really something else? Perhaps a crossbreed? Are the hybrids fertile? Do the spiders crossbreed in their natural environments? Interesting stuff even if the thought of hybrid T's makes some people a tad bit grumpy.:D