Burrow collapsed

JMurphy97

Arachnopeon
I move my deathstalker to another cage with a couple inchs of sand so it could burrow. I wetted the sand then let it dry like I've read to do but this morning I saw it had collapsed. So thinking my scorpion is dead I'm trying to move sand around to find then these clawa come out so it's alive. What should I do to prevent this? I know they like to burrow but I don't want my scorpion to die when I'm not around to help it out.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im not a master scorp person but maybe a different substrate would work better and if not im out of ideas sorry

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this happens sometimes. if a burrow colapses, the scorp should be able to dig itself out.

what type of sand are you using? how much did you wet it?

JMurphy97

Arachnopeon
Just play sand about couple inches is what I sprayed. Is there anything I can do to make it stronger?

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you've got to wet it pretty good. a spray isn't enough. once it is wet, compact it down nice and tight, then leave it to dry out.

RichardMorris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just let the DS's dig their own burrows. Or better yet, stick some broken flowerpots in there for them to tunnel under. That's what mine do. They are desert scorpions, you don't want to keep the sand wet. Your humidity should be low like in the 30-40% range. The only reason mine runs any higher than 35% is due to the crickets needing water. Since sunshine hits it daytime, my temp ranges up to around 90, with night-time down in the 70's.

If you created a tunnel in the sand that was deep and it collapsed while they were in it. It's possible they can't move to get out. Use an icetea spoon and see if you can dig them (or it) out. As mentioned in another thread, I use fine sandblasting sand. Others use the play sand and it seems fine also.

Richard

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just let the DS's dig their own burrows. Or better yet, stick some broken flowerpots in there for them to tunnel under. That's what mine do. They are desert scorpions, you don't want to keep the sand wet. Your humidity should be low like in the 30-40% range. The only reason mine runs any higher than 35% is due to the crickets needing water. Since sunshine hits it daytime, my temp ranges up to around 90, with night-time down in the 70's.

If you created a tunnel in the sand that was deep and it collapsed while they were in it. It's possible they can't move to get out. Use an icetea spoon and see if you can dig them (or it) out. As mentioned in another thread, I use fine sandblasting sand. Others use the play sand and it seems fine also.

Richard
He said "wet the sand, then let it dry out" not "put the scorp in the tank while the sand is really wet and watch in get mycosis"... Otherwise good advice :)

You might wanna mix the sand with some peat before wetting it though, it'll get a bit more texture.

ensldspaez

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
we put a small burrow from the pet shop in the tank and covered it with sand except the opening our death stalker went right in and closed up his opening with sand he comes out at night to hunt!! but that way I dont have to worry about where he is and with a LQ you really want to know where they are. if you are moving around dirt dont do it with your fingers!!!!lol