Bumblebees..every morning?

vickywild

Arachnoknight
This is not really a "problem" as such since the bees are easily put back outside..I'm just curious as to why it's happening.

For the last week or 2, every single morning there are at least 2 bumblebees in our flat. On the window sill in our kitchen to be precise. We've had a thorough check and the window isn't open and there are no holes they can get through so I've no idea how they're getting in.

Sometimes when I'm cooking in the kitchen I notice them literally banging their bodies against the glass as if they're desperate to get in. Which leads me to believe there is something in that kitchen they want :/

Anyone got any idea what it might be? It's quite nice having these visitors every now and again but some of them are scary buggers.

Heres a picture of one..although it's not very clear and doesn't really help with my question lol..

Each bumble that has been in is generally the same size/color.

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It sounds like there is a nest somewhere there. Maybe in the wall, in the floor, or some crawl space of the house. In such instances, workers often find their way into the "living" section of the house and people wonder where they could have come from. No need to worry though, just release any that you find indoors and the nest will die off with the end of the season

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not necessarily. First of all, their nest are substantially smaller than honeybee nests & fewer bees make less noise. Second, bumbles often have a fairly deep tunnel going back to their nest. As a result, they may not be close enough to a surface to be heard.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
they might be wood boring bees....and maybe your a great cook and the food smells good to them....make me some and i will tell you.. :)

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they might be wood boring bees....and maybe your a great cook and the food smells good to them....make me some and i will tell you.. :)
They definitely are not wood boring bees... It is in the Genus Bombus, but I'm not familiar enough with Scotland species to tell you any more than that =P

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Ha! Cooking! Whats that? I live on pasta lol!

I'll try and get better photos of our bee friends. I wish I'd had a camera earlier..one was battering the heck out of my window. I swear..if these things were any bigger they'd be smashing it down.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
was just a thought...i didnt know where all they where at

They definitely are not wood boring bees... It is in the Genus Bombus, but I'm not familiar enough with Scotland species to tell you any more than that =P

---------- Post added 08-14-2011 at 06:27 PM ----------

pasta? haha pasta isnt bad...i mostly live on hot pockets, chocolate, chips and ice cream..i try some other variety in my food group now and then...haha

Ha! Cooking! Whats that? I live on pasta lol!

I'll try and get better photos of our bee friends. I wish I'd had a camera earlier..one was battering the heck out of my window. I swear..if these things were any bigger they'd be smashing it down.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
One day without them..now they're back. The angriest one yet! I've left it in the kitchen with the door open. I hope I don't go in there to find 300 of them now. Had to abandon my toast :( I am not really covered up enough to want to wrestle a bee, and after an attack when I was younger I am quite weary of anything that buzzes.

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your bumblebees are Bombus terrestris - the brown/buff tail is typical of the UK subspecies.

You probably have a nest in the cavity wall or similar, most likely the bees are coming in through an airbrick rather that leaving the colony through the "correct" entrance. B.terrestris colonies are beginning to wind down now as new queens are produced. These will leave the nest, mate and find a hibernation spot. Your bumblebee problems should be over within a month I would think, and they are unlilkely to be back next year as the colony is an annual affair and dies out after the new queens are produced.