Bumba cabocla

sheila

Arachnopeon
Tomorrow I will have a 3/4” Bumba cabocla coming. I can’t seem to find much information about them. What I need to know is how to keep the substrate.

cold blood

Staff member
lots of info here...just at the bottom of this page is 5 thread links to the subject....i know in just the last month i have posted info on them at least 4 times.

sheila

Arachnopeon
lots of info here...just at the bottom of this page is 5 thread links to the subject....i know in just the last month i have posted info on them at least 4 times.
Thank you. The video helped a lot.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Tomorrow I will have a 3/4” Bumba cabocla coming. I can’t seem to find much information about them. What I need to know is how to keep the substrate.
Also they had a genus change awhile back and you may find more info searching the old classification [Maraca cabocla]

grammastolla54

Arachnopeon
yeah same with me mine arrives today! there bite is visious but there mostly calm they also do well in terrestrial/burrow inviroment

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
yeah same with me mine arrives today! there bite is visious but there mostly calm they also do well in terrestrial/burrow inviroment
There's no evidence that the bite of a B. cabocla is any more medically significant than any other NW species. This is a dumb myth that I wish people would stop spreading around.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
there bite is visious but there mostly calm they also do well in terrestrial/burrow inviroment
Ah ah, 'visious' cracked me up :)

As far as I know (as said above, as well, in post #6) there's no clue/valid report about said specie venom potency for think something like that... I think that, personally, my guess is that they have the 'normal', average NW venom: annoying but no big deal, in sum.

'Terrible' NW's (venom potency talking only) are genus Psalmopoeus (not a joke, very painful), P.cancerides (this according to speculations, who knows) genus Ephebopus... all of those, however, are nowhere near the likes of certain OW species just only more potent than the common 'grammo/brachy' etc

Last edited:

grammastolla54

Arachnopeon
There's no evidence that the bite of a B. cabocla is any more medically significant than any other NW species. This is a dumb myth that I wish people would stop spreading around.
I wouldn't say it if I hadn't been bitten my self.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Your meaning is a bit unclear here.

Are you saying that you have been bitten by this species and it was significant? If so, then please submit a bite report. I'm sure many of us would be interested.

Or are you saying that it is wrong for me to consider it a myth without first hand experience of a bite? If this is the case, then I would say that that is not how burden of proof works. Making the assertion that the venom of the B. cabocla is more significant than other NW species obligates you to provide evidence. Otherwise, there is no reason to believe that it differs from typical NW venom potency.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Altough this is correct a fact remain: there's no legit evidence for claim the opposite, as well. Plus a lot of us can have different pain level tolerance :)

For instance, I've never been tagged by a Theraphosidae (from a 'normal' spider, yes, but not from T's) still I consider genus Psalmopoeus venom on the painful side. It's not only the stuff inside the venom of a P.cambridgei and whatnot, but all the report I've read about where majority of the bitten persons reached a consensus enough for call/view that venom... painful.

Granted, I can't myself 'quantify' how much 'painful' is (and I wouldn't discover that, ih ih) but still, at the end of the day, since majority of us, keepers, never were tagged, we had/have to rely on 'Bite Reports' :angelic:

grammastolla54

Arachnopeon
Your meaning is a bit unclear here.

Are you saying that you have been bitten by this species and it was significant? If so, then please submit a bite report. I'm sure many of us would be interested.

Or are you saying that it is wrong for me to consider it a myth without first hand experience of a bite? If this is the case, then I would say that that is not how burden of proof works. Making the assertion that the venom of the B. cabocla is more significant than other NW species obligates you to provide evidence. Otherwise, there is no reason to believe that it differs from typical NW venom potency.
Second one. And I agree.