Building Collection

DustyHYT

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! Quick question. I’ve had my tarantula (Mexican Red Rump (still learning scientific names)) for a year now and I have been slowly getting more as my first one thrives. I have a pink toe and a desert blonde (slings that I acquired a couple months ago),but I was wondering what else you all recommend for a beginner? I am getting a Nicaraguan curly hair and an Honduran curly hair next week. I found a king baboon that I really love, but do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Cromatopelma cyaneopubescens and Acanthoscurra geniculata are good species to get at your stage.

King baboons are not very good for someone so early on. They can be pretty defensive, have potent venom and are petholes.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you are keen on getting a baboon, look into C. darlingi. They tend to be more mild mannered for baboons and more forgiving of new keeper mistakes. They burrow as slings/juvies, but my adult girls have always moved more in favour of webbing as they mature. I personally love heavy webbers, making this species one I particularly enjoy.

But I recommend NOT getting any baboons until you've advanced in the hobby further.

I also recommend posting photos of your enclosures - especially the Avicularia, as they are most susceptible to beginner keeper errors.

(still learning scientific names)
A year in? Tsk tsk (;
At least have them saved on your phone so you can copy/paste them. But really, a tiny bit of effort and you'll have them down in no time. They truly are not difficult.

DustyHYT

Arachnopeon
If you are keen on getting a baboon, look into C. darlingi. They tend to be more mild mannered for baboons and more forgiving of new keeper mistakes. They burrow as slings/juvies, but my adult girls have always moved more in favour of webbing as they mature. I personally love heavy webbers, making this species one I particularly enjoy.

But I recommend NOT getting any baboons until you've advanced in the hobby further.

I also recommend posting photos of your enclosures - especially the Avicularia, as they are most susceptible to beginner keeper errors.

A year in? Tsk tsk (;
At least have them saved on your phone so you can copy/paste them. But really, a tiny bit of effort and you'll have them down in no time. They truly are not difficult.
I can definitely post photos when I get home and take some. I do have them written on the enclosures and I have been referencing them more, but they still slip my mind and I just started caring about the scientific names thanks to Tom’s Big Spiders lol.

I’ll have to look into C. Darlingi, thanks for the suggestion!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can definitely post photos when I get home and take some. I do have them written on the enclosures and I have been referencing them more, but they still slip my mind and I just started caring about the scientific names thanks to Tom’s Big Spiders lol.

I’ll have to look into C. Darlingi, thanks for the suggestion!
I don't know "Tom's Big Spiders" but thank him for me :rofl: Always care about scientific names... they are the only way to accurately identify your spiders and search for information on them.

Here is one of my darlingi girls :)

1538718101916.jpg

DustyHYT

Arachnopeon
I don't know "Tom's Big Spiders" but thank him for me :rofl: Always care about scientific names... they are the only way to accurately identify your spiders and search for information on them.

View attachment 296873

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’d suggest getting a faster NW before an OW tbh, that way you’re more aware of how fast they can be and act appropriately.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The only change I would recommend is elevating the decor for the Avic :) They are true arboreals... any decor/hides on the ground will not be used.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’d suggest a Phormictopus cancerides, as they tend to be more on the defensive side. Plus they’re pretty beautiful. Here’s mine as a small juvie:

395A40C5-7D0C-4225-B44B-EA60712F72CD.jpeg

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
If you love the P.muticus then get one. I have 2 and they are stupid easy to take care of the only downside is they are pet holes so you probably won't see it much. I have had mine for close to 2 years now and these are the best pictures I have of them because they are always deep in burrow. First one is my female the second is my male and I rarely see much more than legs from him. But they both eat like champs and give me no grief when the lid is off they go straight to hiding. Point is its your money, they are not hard to keep and you will Probably won't see it much anyways but an epic tarantula none the less. Personally I say get one, you can thank me later when you get one and see for yourself.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I’ve had my tarantula (Mexican Red Rump (still learning scientific names)) for a year now and I have been slowly getting more as my first one thrives. I have a pink toe and a desert blonde (slings that I acquired a couple months ago),but I was wondering what else you all recommend for a beginner? I am getting a Nicaraguan curly hair and an Honduran curly hair next week. I found a king baboon that I really love, but do you have any suggestions or recommendations?
If you're looking for species that have a bit more attitude without the OW venom:
  • Acanthoscurria geniculata (not so much defensive as "everything is food")
  • Ephebopus murinus (fossorial)
  • Phormictopus
  • Psalmopoeus (arboreal but mostly builds dirt curtains)

Generally less defensive (but may be skittish):
  • Aphonopelma seemanni (likes to dig)
  • Brachypelma
  • Bumba cabocla (likes to dig)
  • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (webs)
  • Davus pentaloris
  • Grammostola
  • Neoholothele incei (dwarf species; fast moving and heavy webbing)

Minty

@londontarantulas
Hey guys! Quick question. I’ve had my tarantula (Mexican Red Rump (still learning scientific names)) for a year now and I have been slowly getting more as my first one thrives. I have a pink toe and a desert blonde (slings that I acquired a couple months ago),but I was wondering what else you all recommend for a beginner? I am getting a Nicaraguan curly hair and an Honduran curly hair next week. I found a king baboon that I really love, but do you have any suggestions or recommendations?
I think everyone should have a Chromatopelma cyanepubescens (Greenbottle blue) in their collection. Great eater, fast grower, webs a lot. Can be quite skittish but it'll help increase your experience.

Theneil

Arachnoprince

View attachment 296873
Toms big spiders (Tom Moran) is a blog (hopefully the right word), youtube channel and podcast. He is kinda long winded, but he is the best audio visual source of tarantula info that i am aware of. He actually puts proper care and treatment above views and subscribers and his content focuses on things such as speciesor genus specific husbandry and rehousing techniques less than feeding videos.

Out of curiousity, is Ms darlingi there gravid or just huge?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Toms big spiders (Tom Moran) is a blog (hopefully the right word), youtube channel and podcast. He is kinda long winded, but he is the best audio visual source of tarantula info that i am aware of. He actually puts proper care and treatment above views and subscribers and his content focuses on things such as speciesor genus specific husbandry and rehousing techniques less than feeding videos.

Out of curiousity, is Ms darlingi there gravid or just huge?
Thank you for the explanation! I don't watch YouTube or podcast (??)... I think I have heard mention of his videos before, though, now that you elaborated.

That photo is a little bit of forced perspective, but she IS large. Larger than I think she should be for the amount she has eaten since I got her... but I can't hope to be one of those lucky folk who end up with a surprise sac lol