Bugs in my Aphonopelma seemanni tank (Not Mites, but is it harmful?)

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
A couple weeks ago I saw a small tiny bug the size of a pin point on the glass of my Aphonopelma seemanni tank. I didn't think of it much except it just went through the ventilation holes and that it would leave.

Yesterday I check my tank and in the substrate under the water bowl, I see tiny white eggs and a bunch of those tiny insects roaming around the tank. My T is fine she just hangs in her hide, but I am 99% sure they aren't mites because the bugs want nothing to do with her. In fact, the bugs stay on one side of the tank, she stays on the other.

I think the bug might've come from a potted plant I brought into my room which sits next to the tank. None of my other tanks have this problem as far as I can see.

Should I replace the substrate and clean all my tanks just to be safe? Are these bugs harmful to my T at all? All of mine are eating fine and one recently molted so they're all healthy I'm just concerned about it in the long run.

I'm away from home at the moment but I will attach a picture of the bug and the eggs. They look like white specks in the dirt.

*Also my substrate is coconut bark and since the Aphonopelma seemanni likes more humidity once a week i over fill my water bowl and very lightly wet half of the tank where there's moss to keep in humidity. I think they're growing there because of the moisture, but not exactly sure. I don't want to dry out my tank because my T's substrate is supposed to be a little damp

Last edited:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
A couple weeks ago I saw a small tiny bug the size of a pin point on the glass of my Aphonopelma seemanni tank. I didn't think of it much except it just went through the ventilation holes and that it would leave.

Yesterday I check my tank and in the substrate under the water bowl, I see tiny white eggs and a bunch of those tiny insects roaming around the tank. My T is fine she just hangs in her hide, but I am 99% sure they aren't mites because the bugs want nothing to do with her. In fact, the bugs stay on one side of the tank, she stays on the other.

I think the bug might've come from a potted plant I brought into my room which sits next to the tank. None of my other tanks have this problem as far as I can see.

Should I replace the substrate and clean all my tanks just to be safe? Are these bugs harmful to my T at all? All of mine are eating fine and one recently molted so they're all healthy I'm just concerned about it in the long run.

I'm away from home at the moment but I will attach a picture of the bug and the eggs. They look like white specks in the dirt.
They sound like springtails. How moist are you keeping her?

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
They sound like springtails. How moist are you keeping her?
I do a "wet" side with moss and a dry side of the tank so she has options. Under her water bowl its more moist because I over fill it. For the rest of the half I just mist the moss or I take a couple spoon fulls of water and drip it all around so that it penetrates the surface of the substrate but not making it wet.

She actually goes to the dry side more often, choosing to burrow there.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Just based on the above, i would take the precaution of removing and replacing the substrate immediately under and areound the water dish, but probably leave the rest alone. I would also try not to over fill the waterdiah anymore because underneath them never gets to dry fully. Just pick a spot and wet it periodically and/or alternate which spots you wet.

I would also consider adding spring tails if the enclosure will have perpetual moisture in it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Springtails or grain mites would be my first guess without knowing more.

@Ben Do Most mites are not the parasitic variety (i.e. they do not feed off of a living host like your Spider).

I don't see much in the picture you posted - the white stuff might be mold. Try to get clearer pictures.

Grain mites can climb glass, I have had them in my cricket tank in the past.

boina

Lady of the mites
but I am 99% sure they aren't mites because the bugs want nothing to do with her.
Why would mites want anything to do with your spider? They eat poop and boli, just like springtails. That's not a reason to exclude mites.

@Theneil - any bugs that are under the water bowl are saprophytic. Why the heck would you want to get rid of them and even replace the substrate?

OP, the "eggs" you see are sclerotia of the fungus Leucocoprinus. They are harmless. If they spread too much just scoup them out and replace the substrate. The bugs can be either grain mites or springtails and both are harmless, too and feed on the fungus. Ignore them.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Why would mites want anything to do with your spider? They eat poop and boli, just like springtails. That's not a reason to exclude mites.

@Theneil - any bugs that are under the water bowl are saprophytic. Why the heck would you want to get rid of them and even replace the substrate?

OP, the "eggs" you see are sclerotia of the fungus Leucocoprinus. They are harmless. If they spread too much just scoup them out and replace the substrate. The bugs can be either grain mites or springtails and both are harmless, too and feed on the fungus. Ignore them.
i don't know what saprophytic means...

I have had a run in with flies in the past and i noticed that is where i would find them or there larva and i have developed a haterd of flies. But without seeing, it is just a blind guess. The suggestion to replace the sub in the immediate area was not intended to be a significant amount. Knowing only that they aren't mites, i would rather air on the side of caution.

Edit. i don't even see bugs in the pictures, but might just be because j am on my phone. Looks like mold. i wouldn't worry too much about it unless it goes crazy.

Last edited:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
i don't know what saprophytic means...

I have had a run in with flies in the past and i noticed that is where i would find them or there larva and i have developed a haterd of flies. But without seeing, it is just a blind guess. The suggestion to replace the sub in the immediate area was not intended to be a significant amount. Knowing only that they aren't mites, i would rather air on the side of caution.
Saprotrophs eat dead stuff by breaking it down when it's outside of them and then absorbing the remains. This is things like bacteria and fungi. Detritivores eat lumps of dead stuff and then break it down internally. This is things like springtails, mites and fungus gnats. A lot of those will also snack on living fungi.

Basically, they're not dangerous and are often helpful. Sterilising whenever they appear does more harm than good, because it raises the chances of something you don't want filling the space. In this case, you're much less likely to get harmful fly species when you have other things breaking down all the dead stuff. You want to be sure you've actually got a fly problem before treating for a fly problem (and I don't count fungus gnats and fruit flies as a fly problem... they might annoy people, but they're not dangerous).

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Saprotrophs eat dead stuff by breaking it down when it's outside of them and then absorbing the remains. This is things like bacteria and fungi. Detritivores eat lumps of dead stuff and then break it down internally. This is things like springtails, mites and fungus gnats. A lot of those will also snack on living fungi.

Basically, they're not dangerous and are often helpful. Sterilising whenever they appear does more harm than good, because it raises the chances of something you don't want filling the space. In this case, you're much less likely to get harmful fly species when you have other things breaking down all the dead stuff. You want to be sure you've actually got a fly problem before treating for a fly problem (and I don't count fungus gnats and fruit flies as a fly problem... they might annoy people, but they're not dangerous).
Thank you. i was going to look it up after work and now i don't have to. :)