bug hunt supplies?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what you would reccomend bringing on a bug hunt for 2-3 days.i will be staying in a hotel so water and food isnt a problem,but liike what kind of supplies to catch and keep them would you bring?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just brinf small vials like those orange pill containers, soem deli cup or glad wear conatiners and a back pack to put all the shizzle into.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okat thanks.thats what i though.i guess this thread was kinda pointless...oh well.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nah, i would bring slightly more than that

i always bring papertowels. the bugs you catch need some padding in their vials. you can just use long grass stalks, but they can get yucky after a day sometimes AND you aren't really guaranteed to find grass everywhere you find bugs. i would HIGHLY caution against using random plants as cushioning, btw. some plants can poison the bugs you are trying to bring home.

really though, some kinda cages and PT are pretty much all i really try and not leave home without

i have a bunch of other crap i tend to bring along like a headlamp, flashlights, digging tools, plastic baggies and what not... but i don't use them every time

i keep all my vials and stuff in a fishing vest =P

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vials, with tp or paper towels pre-added. Tongs, Black light, flashlight, a snack, and water. That's it. Less is more. You'll find yourself bogged down carrying a bunch of junk you don't need. Trust me. I've done it. I still do it every once in a while, after I've had a little time to forget the lessons I've learned. Less is more!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
gloves- because sometimes those big rocks can hurt your hand.

first aid kit- because you never know

lighter- will help if you stranded,hurt and what not

lots of containers/vials- for your catches

good shoes- for walking

flashlight/blacklight- findin scorps and other things on the dark

digging supplies. spoons, small shovel- to dig a burrow up(but try to avoid if possible)

energy bars/food- because you might need energy

paper towels- padding for bugs and what not

tweezers/ tongs/ snake hook- because you never know.

sunblock- cancer is bad.

thats what id bring. i know something sounds over done. but you never know. to many people leave with too little supplies and preperation and get lost or hurt in the middle of no where.

top 3 though, gloves, containers and water. around here the rocks will literally make your hands feel like sandpaper in a matter of hours.

and a water bladder will help hydrate and flood burrows with ease.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't forget your cell phone and make sure it's charged.
Extra batteries for your lights
A map
Snack

let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return

this is on top of what the others already said :D

TheScorpionLord

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sup man
Bring cell phone, deli cups-orange pill bottles, etc. black light flash light pair of gardening gloves or anything you can find in the garage and bug find buddy lol
and also the best time to start looking is 6 pm or when the sun is bout half a finger length from horizon and dont stop til bout midnight.

look under rocks piles of stone moist wood, flip any object away from you to prevent snake surprises

hope that will help :) and good luck!

-Tim

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
flip any object away from you to prevent snake surprises
Hey Tim, I think you mean flip objects toward you. :) If you flip away from you with a big rock, your ankles are exposed before you can even look. If you flip towards you, you can see everything when it's 90 degrees, while it blocks your lower half completely. And snakes won't strike straight up! I'm not trying to correct you. I think it was just a writing error. But I think about this a lot, as my favorite habitat is shared with mojaves. :eek: :)

Op, please return all rocks back as you found them. For more info check out this great page on this great site.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/collecting.html

TheScorpionLord

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nonexile,
Its all good man, but its exactly what I meant, flip it away from you so the whats underneath is "away" from yourself.

I apologize if I had it written wrong.
-Tim

Hey Tim, I think you mean flip objects toward you. :) If you flip away from you with a big rock, your ankles are exposed before you can even look. If you flip towards you, you can see everything when it's 90 degrees, while it blocks your lower half completely. And snakes won't strike straight up! I'm not trying to correct you. I think it was just a writing error. But I think about this a lot, as my favorite habitat is shared with mojaves. :eek: :)

Op, please return all rocks back as you found them. For more info check out this great page on this great site.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/collecting.html

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nonexile,
Its all good man, but its exactly what I meant, flip it away from you so the whats underneath is "away" from yourself.

I apologize if I had it written wrong.
-Tim
No need to apologize! Just think about it like this: Put a box in front of you.
Then lift it "away" from you, at this point, the "underneath" of the box is staring at your ankles. Now set it down, and life the top towards you. Now the bottom is looking away from you. Whatever is underneath, can't see your ankles because it is blocked by the edge of the box, closest to your ankles....
:)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
plus, well... you can always drop the rock and squish whatever is underneath. i would probably never do this... but if it does come down to me or another animal... well, i'm going to win

http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/about953.html
i totally forgot about this until someone else linked a collecting guide. i'm still working on it (like a million other things)... but eventually that puppy should be a pretty sweet multimedia guide to bug hunting. when i am done massaging it on my forum i am going to transfer it to my website to make it look nicer and be easier to navigate

you can quotepost from that thread i am working on to here if you have q's. no need to join my forum

edit:
btw, just got back from a little hike. went the wrong way at first so i wasted half my time... thus, no scorpion video taken yet. but hopefully tomorrow or tomorrow or tomorrow