Bug chess

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all, I'm in the process of makeing my own bug chess set hoping it will incourage younger people to take up playing chess and make to more interesting for younger people to play. The pieces will be constructed to represent bugs with the most powerful and deadliest bugs being the higher ranked pieces and so on. The set will then come with lots of interesting facts about the bugs and why they were selected to have the status of the chess piece they will represent. Here's my set for a example KING: ELEPHANT BEETLE: due to its lack of movement but phenomenal power. QUEEN: GOLIATH TARANTULA: due to being agile, strong with explicit speed. BISHOPS: GIANT ASIAN MANTIS: Swift, agile killer. KNIGHTS: GIANT HORNET: able to move over other pieces and deadly. CASTLES: DEATHSTALKER SCORPION: fast and agile. PAWNS: BULLET ANTS: on there own not much chance in a fight but strength in numbers.

Let me known what you think and what your bug set would be? Or any changes you would make to the pieces and why. Thanks in advance, David

jecraque

Arachnobaron
I think this is a really neat idea! Are you carving the pieces yourself? I can't comment much on your choices since I never learned to play, myself, but they sound good, and an eight-year-old me would have loved it. :)

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm a blacksmith and metal fabricator so ill be making it whole set out of metal. If all goes well ill be looking into doing different sets like whole spider sets, scorpion and insect ones, maybe even a reptile and snake set, but I'll just see how the first one goes first.

alpine

Arachnosquire
That sounds like an amazing idea! Sign me up for a set of tarantulas and one of snakes!

Tman86

Arachnosquire
Yes please post pics when you complete it, i'd love to see it. Good idea!!!

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
That sounds brilliant to me, I would love to see some pics when you have the time, I might even buy a set cause they would look better than the original set.