Breeding Tarantulas?

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!
I have a question (maybe two) :)

Since i have found that my backyard is like the Sphaerobothria Hoffmanni distribution zone for my entire neighborhood i was thinking about a breeding project... i have one confirmed female (molted october 7, 4.5") and two more small ones unsexed (one looks male, other looks female but not sure yet) of about the same size (almost 2"), the question is, if one of the small ones grows adult male (they develop hooks at front legs when mature) at what point can i try to mate them after the female molted? right after molt, about 1 month later? 3 months....?

I'll have to wait for the small ones to grow adults (they get about 4.5" fully grown) before trying of course but just want to be informed in case i found an adult male wandering around here :) (found two of them dead last year outside thanks to the dog :wall: )

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Three to four weeks should be good. Some ppl dont wait very long at all to mate them but in any event you should make sure the female is well fed and happy before putting another T in the home. If you dont there is a high chance that they will mate and the male will be eaten.

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Darwinsdad said:
Three to four weeks should be good. Some ppl dont wait very long at all to mate them but in any event you should make sure the female is well fed and happy before putting another T in the home. If you dont there is a high chance that they will mate and the male will be eaten.
Umm, ok, 3 to 4 weeks is very soon.... she hasn't eat since molted and it's about 15 days by now since the molt... refused to eat twice in a 5 days interval and webbed the entrance to the hide... i'll try feeding again tomorrow night since she was out yesterday around the water dish and corners, maybe is hungry now.... maybe 1 to 2 months is the correct time then?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The females I've mated this year (mated...no eggsacs so far) didn't show any interest in males until two months or so from the last molt. As I said though, I haven't gotten any eggsacs yet so two months may be too soon. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if the female will accept the male though I would think. Put the male in with her and be standing by with something to separate them if she goes crazy on him. All the females I've mated have been pretty enthusiastic about the whole thing when they were ready. :D

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think this is going to vary a lot, and I'm not sure there is a correct answer.

I've mated a female (and gotten a successful eggsac) 12 days after she molted (C. cyaneopubescens).

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
David_F said:
The females I've mated this year (mated...no eggsacs so far) didn't show any interest in males until two months or so from the last molt. As I said though, I haven't gotten any eggsacs yet so two months may be too soon. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if the female will accept the male though I would think. Put the male in with her and be standing by with something to separate them if she goes crazy on him. All the females I've mated have been pretty enthusiastic about the whole thing when they were ready. :D
Umm, ok... that's a good point... how to separate them if something goes wrong... i'll get that in mind, i'll have to wait at least for the male to mature or find a mature one outside... i have read they can "smell" the female? is that true? if that's a fact probably my house will be full of them soon...

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
I think this is going to vary a lot, and I'm not sure there is a correct answer.

I've mated a female (and gotten a successful eggsac) 12 days after she molted (C. cyaneopubescens).
12 days.... about 2 weeks... umm ok... probably each spec. has different times them... this one isolated himself after molt for about a week webbing the entrance to the hide...