breeding question

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok im sure it has been here more then once ..im prolly not useing the right words in the search ....so please bare with my question and sorry if it has been here alot...so here goes "how can ya tell if the female is ready "..im talking about the H.Vietnam sp. it just seems my female isnt wanting to come out of her burrow and shows no interest in my male am i over looking something..and im scared to leave them together over night with out supervision...i know my male is ready ..he would have his way with the family cat if i allowed it lol ....any replys are appriated

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've heard before that the carapaces should be about the same size...

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the males and the females should be the same size?...well they dont let me close enough to measure but doin a visial they look reletively the same size ..the female might be a lil bigger then the male tho

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
are you sure your female is mature, what is the longest you've left them together? sometimes the spiders might not show interest for an hour or 2

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol thats what i was wondering ..i know she is an adult ..i just wasnt sure if she was ready for breeding ...so i was looking for topics on female breeding maturity ..i have searched and all i can find is about the males on when they are ready ..but that dont help me much

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Once the female is mature, she is ready to mate. Willing is another story. When I have couples that are reluctant to get together, I put them together and set the enclosure on the coffee table in front of the t.v. And I wait...

Another possibility is that you are trying to mate them during the day. My haps just don't do ANYTHING until late night/early morning. Maybe you should try them around midnight or later.

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not familar with what the shark tank method is?!? Could you explain a bit better? I just tried a search and got no matches...
thx

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NightCrawler27 said:
I'm not familar with what the shark tank method is?!? Could you explain a bit better? I just tried a search and got no matches...
thx
I'm sorry I guess I could have explained... Real simple just put the male in a small deli cup and then put him in her enclosure for a day or so to see if being in there sparks things up. Greg

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the tip bearskin.. I guess there is no things they do like the males to show they are ready. For example the male makes the sperm web. And thank you for the tips MizM, My male is active at night and during the day also, just my female aint. I'll try both of these and let you know how it goes.

thx again

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can u imagine the sound of the male drumming inside a deli cup? I bet its quite comical. Or the wandering back and forth in it. It might be like a small hamster wheel. {D

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, I know how you feel. I've had a male A. avic drumming to my female rosehair since december. :wall: He lives in her old kritter keeper, I rinsed it but I didn't exactly scrub it. :rolleyes: I really don't think he cares what species it is as long as he gets to a willing female, he's a horny little guy! :D LOL

Good luck with your breeding efforts, I hope to get a pair together someday.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:
Hey, I know how you feel. I've had a male A. avic drumming to my female rosehair since december. :wall: He lives in her old kritter keeper, I rinsed it but I didn't exactly scrub it. :rolleyes: I really don't think he cares what species it is as long as he gets to a willing female, he's a horny little guy! :D LOL

Good luck with your breeding efforts, I hope to get a pair together someday.
LOL, I was trying to breed my B. albopilosum a few months back and got no response from the female when the male drummed but the emilia next door started to go nuts and drumming back at him, shoot forward to just a few weeks ago I am trying to breed that same B. emilia and get no response from her but have the G. grossa next door drumming back and going crazy, go figure :wall: just shows you need some luck as in when the male matures, I figured the female curly was about to molt and sure enough did just that about a month later and I am pretty sure the emilia is ready to molt also, just have to hope she molts soon and the male is still good to go...

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
LOL, I was trying to breed my B. albopilosum a few months back and got no response from the female when the male drummed but the emilia next door started to go nuts and drumming back at him, shoot forward to just a few weeks ago I am trying to breed that same B. emilia and get no response from her but have the G. grossa next door drumming back and going crazy, go figure :wall: just shows you need some luck as in when the male matures, I figured the female curly was about to molt and sure enough did just that about a month later and I am pretty sure the emilia is ready to molt also, just have to hope she molts soon and the male is still good to go...
That has to be frustrating. They are messing with U. ;P

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
That has to be frustrating. They are messing with U. ;P
It's funny if the female has no interest she either just slaps him away, kind of just curls up or eats him but if the male is not interested he either runs or gets eaten, Was pretty funny I was trying to breed my female parahybana with my friends male and she kept on drumming and presenting but he would just turn and run, he was really pissing us of so my friend sent the male home with me for a few more try's, basically same stuff went on she finally got sick of his crap and just nailed him, nice little snack for her... :D Yes it is frustrating some times. :mad:

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats what scares me the most him becoming a snack for her .. these 2 are my most aggressive T's i have...to be honest the male scares the shit outta me....lol...1 day i was getting him fresh water (water dish on oppisite sides of the tank from his burrow/den) and he was in it and i have never seen a T jump before he like jump from 1 end to the water dish at me ..this species is very fast im not sure which is faster the H.Viet.sp or the P.Murinus lol and boy does this guy hold a threat pose.....

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
It's funny if the female has no interest she either just slaps him away, kind of just curls up or eats him but if the male is not interested he either runs or gets eaten, Was pretty funny I was trying to breed my female parahybana with my friends male and she kept on drumming and presenting but he would just turn and run, he was really pissing us of so my friend sent the male home with me for a few more try's, basically same stuff went on she finally got sick of his crap and just nailed him, nice little snack for her... :D Yes it is frustrating some times. :mad:
What had happened was.... he knew in his lil brain that she was gonna get him. T premenition.... :p

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
What had happened was.... he knew in his lil brain that she was gonna get him. T premenition.... :p
LOL, you are on a roll tonight {D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe that Haplopelma is a relatively gentle genus when it comes to mating.
When was the last time your female molted? I've found if they are even approaching a molt they are not in the mood.

Sharktanking is a great idea, as Bearskin mentioned. However, when I use that method I place him in a small kritter keeper within the females tank, but I guess it depends how large of an enclosure she is in. I tend to keep my female breeders in larger tanks.

A friend of mine left his 2 H. lividums in together for a couple of days without incident.