Breeding question in regards to the male (LP species)

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all!

I have a question in regards to breeding for those of you who may know... This actually just occured to me last night and I never thought of it before.

Last night I paired up my 6"+ female LP with a 5"+ mature male that I got from a buddy of mine. The pairing went well (pretty sure I saw an insertion and the male didn't end up a snack!). Now I know whenever anyone breeds they introduce the male to the female on multipe occasions (which is what I plan on doing) but I got to wondering the following questions:

1. After the male has a succesful insertion, does he have any sperm left in his bulbs for another encounter?
2. Should I wait for him to make another sperm web before reintroducing him into her enclosure to assure he's loaded again?
3. Should I just keep reintroducing him into her enclosure every few days in their current state and not worry about any new sperm webs?

Thanks for all your replies in advance!!! :alien:

*By the way... I plan on posting a "Breeding Report" if all goes well. Fingers crossed!!! :pray:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If he only used one pedipalp to insert, then the other should still have sperm. I would wait a few days and then pair again. It's nice to see a sperm web between pairings but sometimes they're easy to miss. If you give him a few days he's probably reloaded.

Off topic - you've got a 5" MM Lp? Is that leg span?

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If he only used one pedipalp to insert, then the other should still have sperm. I would wait a few days and then pair again. It's nice to see a sperm web between pairings but sometimes they're easy to miss. If you give him a few days he's probably reloaded.

Off topic - you've got a 5" MM Lp? Is that leg span?
Hey Jayefbe! Thanks for the reply, I'll def keep an eye out for another sperm web!

In regards to the male, yea he's definitly at least 5"+. I got him from a close friend on mine (Dantediss on the boards) that he raised from a sling. The male tends to stand with his legs very close to his body but when he spreads out he's rather large. I was told he matured about 9 months ago... hope that doesn't effect anything. As far as the insertion goes, I believe I saw him insert the left bulb. At one point (about 30 mins in) of the courtship he heaved the female (she's def 6"+) upward and his left palp was fully outstretched underneath her. I'm really hoping it was an insertion! :)

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I'll steal this thread to ask another question regards mating. What is number of sacs and slings in sacs affected by? age of T, number of matings, size of T? For example LP's number of eggs is ~2000, what makes it go over that number, and what makes it go below it?

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll steal this thread to ask another question regards mating. What is number of sacs and slings in sacs affected by? age of T, number of matings, size of T? For example LP's number of eggs is ~2000, what makes it go over that number, and what makes it go below it?
Sac sizes are dependant on the species. Nothing more.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Sac sizes are dependant on the species. Nothing more.
so, basically i can breed a year and a half old 'bana and get as much as 2500 slings, and in other hand 26 cm gargantuan female can have as little as 1000slings? Well, i guess it is situation like humans then, size doesn't mean anything :p

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the mm lp is actually a pretty decent size. but like aarantula stated he doesnt really spread out too often although i used to catch him every now and then on the side of the tank trying to sneak out to find some spider loving. i would say roughly hes about 6 to 7 inches leg tip to leg tip. aarons female is a tad bit larger but almost twice as bulky. well fingers crossed for a success and maybe sac soon

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
You should start your own thread. Some would consider this thread jacking.

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
Not really...

To the OP. I'd keep an eye out for another sperm web, but assume after 3 days-ish it's reloaded. Also be aware that the longer the MM is from it's ultimate molt the more he will have issues with infertility. Might take a few insertions(3-5) to assure insemination.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not really...

To the OP. I'd keep an eye out for another sperm web, but assume after 3 days-ish it's reloaded. Also be aware that the longer the MM is from it's ultimate molt the more he will have issues with infertility. Might take a few insertions(3-5) to assure insemination.
Thanks cmcghe! Im gonna pair them up again on Sunday with hopes of him being charged up and a definite insertion. :)

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone else know why my female chases the male away sometimes but is receptive at others?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
but assume after 3 days-ish it's reloaded.
It varies from spider to spider. Some will load up a few hours after a pairing and some will take a few months. I wouldn't "assume" anything when it comes to Theraphosidae. ;)

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
Fair enough. Was just saying after 3 days, if you don't observe a sperm web I'd re-attempt. But then again I have 0 pairing experience so many grains of salt are necessary.