breeding or fighting???

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last night i tried to put both my mau chau's together to see if they would mate. I wasn't sure if one was female or male so i had to test. When they came in contact with each other they started wrestling and trying to bite one another. I couldn't get them apart so i had to wait until they separated. Thankfully they separated after about two minutes or grappling eachother. I was devestated when they started trying to attack eachother. This is too risky for me to try again. How do you breed the cents without them trying to tear each other apart? After the battle i guess they're either both male or both female. Any help on what i should do? After i separated them, i tried to check both for any body damage. I saw that one had maybe a small puncture would on the side with a little clear ooze seeping. Is that bad news or REALLY bad news?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I saw that one had maybe a small puncture would on the side with a little clear ooze seeping. Is that bad news or REALLY bad news?
mmm, can be bad news,... :eek:
hopefully it will survive,... but i've lost a Sc.galapagoensis this way :(

keep us up-to-date

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A galapagoensis!!! I would be mortified! He/she is acting normal but i don't know. I'll keep updates on he subject. Surprisingly the smaller one won the battle

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
yeah i know,... but if ya never try you never know.

the same day as the mating attemp and fight it was still acting normal,... i did found it death the day after (don't wanna give ya bad hopes,... but keep an eye on it ! )

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So what are you saying, that there really is no good way to tell the sexes apart? I have a pair of S. sp. "tiger legs", if I want to breed them, I should just toss them together and keep my fingers crossed? UGH!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd make sure there are places to run and hide. I only try this when another is under a rock and watch them come across each other. Hehe, it is scary. I had to really work at getting two apart once. I knew one was a goner. Bit right behind the head and trying to pull loose. It's head seemed paralyzed, couldn't eat and oozing allot....IT MADE IT! Wow, two minutes of fighting, ...that's a long time and with little damage. I have an old thread with pics of two S. h. castaneiceps mating somewhere on the AB. Good luck with it.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My pedes are too pretty for me to mess with, I'm going to try to find someone with experience to try to breed them.

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that's exactly how mine started fighting. One was just chillen under some plants i have in the tank and i put the other in. The one i put in, walk into the plants and in a millisecond they were all tangled up in one another. i tried pullling them apart but they were just stuck to each other. It was kinda cool how both of them started doing this little snake type dance thing, when they're tails were still holding on to eachother. It was like they were holding they're heads up and swaying side to side.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
let us know when ya find someone and please share his techniques :)
You said it, I only thought it:) .

J10, I've only seen it happen once and it was two S. h. castaneiceps. The method may be pretty standard, I don't know. But from what I saw, a little speculation here because the female was under the rock when I saw it. Ideally, the male would be under a rock or something. The female would come across the male at the entrance under the rock. I wonder if they have a pheromone or something like that. I've been in this house 10 years and have never seen a wild Shc on the property until this summer when I put 5 or 6 adults outside in tubs next to the house, then I find a wild one in the middle of the day by the tubs walking around. Anyway, the male turns around, prob for defensive reasons at first. The female stays and the male starts waving it's terminals while she gets her antennae slapped around. Then he starts spinning web at the entrance and drops a spermataphore at the bottom of the webbing that is spun so that there is hole she must go through, that might be important. He moves on, she follows him and picks it up with her last tergite. Pretty weird to watch. REALLY weird! Pretty sure I took a pic of the webbing but this dial up is a bummer so I don't even want to wait for the pics to load but if you're curious, I titled the thread "pede mating pics".

here it is

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=66702&referrerid=0

Last edited:

vlada

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
I will share my experience. Once I put together 2 Scolopendra cingulata (I was not sure about their sex, so I tried it this way). Of course, the pedes started to fight. It was not possible to separate them with pincers as they were holding together with all their legs. I was desperate, so I took a glass of water and washed the pedes down. After that, they immediately released each other and escaped. Both of them survived.
Maybe it was just a lucky accident (I was not keen on trying it again), but it might work anyway.
Maybe, if you decide to put your pedes together, it would be good to prepare some dish with water and if they start fighting instead of mating try to wash them down.
good luck with your mating (pede mating, especially)
Vlada

jayer10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would've never thought of that to get them separated. Good idea to me. I tried to separate mine with a long pieces of broken plastic coat hangers, but that didn't work out to well. Their grasp on each other was unbelievable. Next time i'll try the water thing too. Has any one ever had Male and Female get entangled with each other?

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe, if you decide to put your pedes together, it would be good to prepare some dish with water and if they start fighting instead of mating try to wash them down.
Excellent suggestion!!!! I can't wait to put some adults together :). Saddly enough, i only have adult females tiger legs ( and babies, hehe )...

phil.