Breeding Opinions

MaxxZacho

Arachnopeon
In your opinion, from your own experiance, what has been the easiest scorpion species to breed? I'm just asking for opinions not theoretically. Yes I used the search function but similar threads were years old and I'm sure there are some new smart people have joined since!

The reason I ask is that I am not new to scorpions but have recently caught the breeding bug and am now buying mates for each of my scorpions. I'm just wondering which ones I should expect to be a little tougher to get going and which ones should be "Easier"

I also have a species that is said to not need a mate, how would/could I "induce" if you will, their pregnancies???

Look forward to hearing you opinions! :^)

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say emps are the easiest species to breed though their gestation period is quit long. The harder one to breed are going to be any species that is not communal, because the scorps are prone to kill each other. Just provide any non communal species with plenty of room and plenty of hide for them to get away from each other in. Also make sure that you keep all your species well fed so they don't eat each other, this includes feeding at least once a week, I feed more then that. Also any species that is going to have really finiky conditions that they need to be kept in will be tougher to breed. You don't really induce them to breed, they will just breed when they are ready. Providing them with plenty of flat slate for sperm stems is good too. Also just make sure that you keep them in their ideal conditions.

snippy

Arachnobaron
I'm just wondering which ones I should expect to be a little tougher to get going and which ones should be "Easier"
How would we know what you keep? You might want to tell us so we could give a proper answer.

I also have a species that is said to not need a mate, how would/could I "induce" if you will, their pregnancies???
Meaning a parthenogenetic species? You most likely will not have to do anything.

The harder one to breed are going to be any species that is not communal, because the scorps are prone to kill each other.
Sorry, but where is the logic in that? The only difference or added difficulty on the level you are talking about is intruducing the mates, wait for them to mate and seperate them again. How hard ist that?
The real problems lay elsewhere. In cases of almost every species, that is hard to breed or has until now even proven to be impossible to breed, it is surely not because they cannot be kept communally.

Regards
Finn

MaxxZacho

Arachnopeon
"How would we know what you keep? You might want to tell us so we could give a proper answer."

I'm just asking "in general" so I know which species I should try first. just list what you've had experiance with and if I can easily get a hold of a pairing will.

"Meaning a parthenogenetic species? You most likely will not have to do anything."

Yes, so it wouldn't matter if a raised the temp a little? Or does that not matter with parthenogenetic scorps...

" The harder one to breed are going to be any species that is not communal, because the scorps are prone to kill each other."

I think he is just trying to let me know communal species would be a good place to start... thanks guys! Any more input would be appertiated

---------- Post added 03-07-2012 at 01:33 PM ----------

B.T.W.
The breeding projects I'm.working on are
L.Q. 1 pair
A. Bicolor 1 pair
I'm looking to try with my emp once I get a mate for him.

snippy

Arachnobaron
For the beginning I would look into B. jacksoni, they are quite easy going, grow fast and after 3 months of gestation they will litter if kept well (or a similar humid member of the Buthidae). I don't see how a katoigogenic scorpion like P. imperator would be a good way to start. Why not start with something that is a lot faster, both in gestation and growth. Therefore I would not recommend any member of the Scorpionidae.

Regards
Finn

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Try Centruroides sculpturatus. They have a nasty sting, but as far as being easy to breed these guys are very easy. You can probably get a few WC adults. Most females will be gravid already.

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hottentotta hottentotta, all you need is a proper size container, substrate and a lot of feeders, they are also hardy and active. Though it may be different from where you reside (I live in a tropical archipelago where sweating is synonymous to breathing)

IMO, once scorpions reached adulthood, most will be eager to propagate:)

Last edited:

llamastick

Arachnoknight
To lower the risk of territorial aggression/cannibalism, add the pair you wish to breed to a new, unfamiliar enclosure. Don't introduce one to the other's "home".

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How would we know what you keep? You might want to tell us so we could give a proper answer.

Meaning a parthenogenetic species? You most likely will not have to do anything.

Sorry, but where is the logic in that? The only difference or added difficulty on the level you are talking about is intruducing the mates, wait for them to mate and seperate them again. How hard ist that?
The real problems lay elsewhere. In cases of almost every species, that is hard to breed or has until now even proven to be impossible to breed, it is surely not because they cannot be kept communally.

Regards
Finn
I am just saying for someone new to breeding, breeding communal species would be the way to go to get into it. It leaves room for error, without the consiquences of possibly loosing one of your scorps.

MaxxZacho

Arachnopeon
To lower the risk of territorial aggression/cannibalism, add the pair you wish to breed to a new, unfamiliar enclosure. Don't introduce one to the other's "home".
That's what I did today with my L.Q.'s...
Crossing my fingers

---------- Post added 03-08-2012 at 12:46 AM ----------

I am just saying for someone new to breeding, breeding communal species would be the way to go to get into it. It leaves room for error, without the consiquences of possibly loosing one of your scorps.
Yeah that's what I.got out of it, thank you! :)

snippy

Arachnobaron
Just get yourself a neutral breeding box or something if you have not already done so. A bit of sand, a flat stone and viola! ;)
And always add the female first and let it calm down in there for a little time before introducing the male.

Regards
Finn

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Want something quick, try Tityus Magnimanus.

From 2I to full grown in ~6 months. Hardy and Prolific species.

(Sorry for spelling errors lol)

Bam

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bam, that was my line!:D Bams' right, these are like plague....not joking...but waaay too hot for beginning hobbyists...

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

MaxxZacho

Arachnopeon
Bam, that was my line!:D Bams' right, these are like plague....not joking...but waaay too hot for beginning hobbyist
Well I'm not a beginning hobbyist just a begining breeder. (I didn't take offence I'm just sayin..)

Do they really grow that fast? That would be great. I'm going to try and find some...

---------- Post added 03-08-2012 at 05:33 PM ----------

Okay so ive decided Im going to buy 4 pairs. This is what ive come up with....

1 pair B. Jacksoni
1 female Centruroides sculpturatus (I have a male)
1 pair Tityus Magnimanus
1 Pair Hottentotta hottentotta

BillyBoy

Arachnopeon
I'll throw my $.02 in for C. gracilis. My female is just over a year now and is on her second litter. Super easy and hardy species to keep.

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
another candidate

Lychas mucronatus

pardon the quality, camphone

got them around August/September 2011 as 2i, fast grower, aggressive predator and ready to pop late March or April

Last edited:

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll throw my $.02 in for C. gracilis. My female is just over a year now and is on her second litter. Super easy and hardy species to keep.
I second C. gracilis. Just buy a male and a few females and you will get some babies. Not to mention they are awesome anyways.