Breeding B Vagans

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive just brought a Male B vagans for my female im going to attempt a mate tomorrow....
Just a few questions on the matter, I know there is a risk on the male getting eaten, but how do i know if things are getting very hairy and when to abort it so to speak. Anything i need to be aware of, best place to mate the spiders (in the bathroom so when male legs it, so it cant go far), is it as easy as just putting the male into the enclosure and watching.
If it all goes to plan and i get an egg sack, ill be selling most of the spiderlings, so if u want some email me :)

thank you for replies :)

aliasx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You want a reply, here we go:

To get more replies maybe give a little more thought to the formation of your thread.

Including line breaks and punctuation such as question marks [?] will enable the viewer to more easily read & respond to the question.

best place to mate the spiders (in the bathroom so when male legs it, so it cant go far)
The best place is probably where you and the female spider will feel most comfortable. Most breeding pictures and reports indicate that mating was initiated by introducing the male to the female's enclosure.

is it as easy as just putting the male into the enclosure and watching
Yes, I believe it is along those lines. As with a lot of things regarding tarantulas the keeper's judgements based upon experience seem to be the key factors.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you want to do it in the bathtub that is up to you. IMO he won't run to far if you can do it on a open patch of carpet or floor. When you put him in with the female have a large spoon in your hand to separate them if she starts to slap him around. The problem is that if she is willing to mate she will lift her front legs like she is in threat posture. If they start to drum their legs that is usually a good sign, but there are no guaranties. Make sure she is well fed before you try anything. Some people put the male in a container that fits inside the females cage for a couple of days. If they seem to be hanging out beside each other that is a good sing. Hope this helps, Good luck.

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one more question, do i just put the male into the females enclosure and thats it, or do i put them into a separate containeR?

averagebehr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Put your female in a nice big enclosure let her get settled in to it. Then use a smaller cage like a shark cage so they can see but not touch each other. Make sure you really feed her as well then attempt it keep a handy little stick to put between your male and female if she goes to eat him after the mating. And remove him afterwards to safety so you can attempt more breeding a dead male and your out of luck . ;P

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think ill leave her in her enclosure, its hudge and its got loads of room :}