Brand New Future Owner Of Scorpions. Need Advice.

Troyboy9219

Arachnopeon
First off I have no idea on scorpions. I want a desert species of scorpions, along the lines of Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion, a Death Stalker Scorpion, or a Black Thick Tailed Spitting Scorpion. Does anyone know what tend to be the nastier and or larger species of desert scorepions? I have ordered scorpions from Swifts Inverts in the past but I have come across ads for ken the bug guy and lll reptiles? Does anybody have experience with ordering from the last two? I have ordered from swifts for a long time and he is very professional but I am always looking to broaden my horizons to the available market.

I have just set up my cages using 25 percent excavator clay and 75 percent sand from the hardware store. Any problems with the substrate. I have packed down the sand and currently waiting for it to dry using two 150 watt infrared bulbs to heat the sand. Any issues with my substarte mixture? I have thrown in some decorations like a piece of bark, some rocks, and some cactus. They all decorative and treated because I bought them from the local petstore. Does anyone know how long it should take to dry out the tank sand so I can hopefully add the scorpions? I have read it can take several days to weeks to dry out the sand so it is safe for burrowing. I have 40 watt infrared bulbs to heat the scorpions, im only using the 150 watts to dry out the sand. My apartment stays pretty hot, im on the fourth floor so I can leave my balcony open the get some really good airflow. My apartment stays about 80 to 85 degress on average. Any Issues?

I am really looking to hear from some scorpion owners who have a great deal of experience with the following species of desert scorpions or desert scorpion care in general.

These are the following pics of my cages for the scorpions I want. I plan to house only 1 scorpion in each tank. I still have to buy temp guages from my pet store but other than that can anyone suggest anything to give them the perfect decorations and substrate. I am very happy to soon be able to buy the scorpions I want but I want to make them as happy as can be.

Any Advice or experience greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

These are the cages.

View attachment 120277 View attachment 120278

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know much about scorps but I can tell you that the last two scorps you mentioned are highly venomous and potentially fatal. Only get them if you have experience with very dangerous animals. Ktbg is good and lull is a bit spotty

Troyboy9219

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I have worked in a hot lab for about 3 years, dealing with some of the worlds most venomous snakes like taipan and tiger snakes. Even cobras at times. I am accustomed to venomous and fast animals but no experience with scorpions. lol.

Perentie

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I have worked in a hot lab for about 3 years, dealing with some of the worlds most venomous snakes like taipan and tiger snakes. Even cobras at times. I am accustomed to venomous and fast animals but no experience with scorpions. lol.
Just as in hot snake keeping, keep hands on to a minimum, always use tools or cups to move the scorp. Keep hands out of the enclosure and don't get complacent.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
H. arizonensis is an obligate burrower that digs deep tunnels and burrows; it will make use of all the substrate you can provide. What you have in your enclosures is the minimum depth of substrate I would use for an adult Hadrurus. Ideally, 2/3 of the tank should be twice as deep as you currently have and 1/3 of the tank half as deep, say 8" for the deep end sloping down to 2" for the shallow end. The shallow end will eventually get filled with excavated substrate from the deep end. A 25/75 mix of ex-clay/sand works well for Hadrurus substrate. The tighter it's compacted when moist, the harder it will be when dry. I usually use a 20/80 mix and tamp it down with the end of a hammer handle.

L. quinquestriatus and P. transvaalicus are opportunistic burrowers that typically dig shallow scrapes under rocks and logs. They don't need very deep substrate, something on the order of 2" is adequate. What you have in your enclosures is probably a little deeper than you need, but will be fine. It's just unnecessary weight.

Since you're still drying your tanks, I would add another 4 inches of substrate to one side if it's going to house a Hadrurus. Otherwise, your enclosure look very nice.

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"First off I have no idea on scorpions"
"a Death Stalker Scorpion, or a Black Thick Tailed Spitting Scorpion"
I don't think this is a good combination. Might as well have a good amount of experience on low level scorpions before jumping on the big guns.

However, your various mingling with hot snakes can make the transition faster.

Good luck and always keep us posted

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

one possible issue is that cactus being too near the mesh top, Ideally don't want the scorpion to get anywhere near the top of the tank especially if it's a hot!

also, think its the same thing in the US as in the EU (although perhaps those species are common enough) but often you need to write your "wanted" list based on whats available! :)

good luck and i love the tank setups!