Bought my first T today!

Taco Pope

Arachnopeon
I got a G. rosea. Picked it up at a local pet shop. It's fairly active, wandered all over its cage and then drank from it's water dish. It's sitting on top of it's hide right now.

Here's a pic. Sorry it's blurry, but my camera is crappy.

I was going to get a pic of it on my hand. I stuck the tongs infront of it to see how it would react and it attacked them, so I chickened out.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
It may have attacked your tongs in hopes that it was food. Most G rosea are quite hungry from their importation, and poor care at the petstore. Mine ate 13 crickets in one night when I brought her home! Once it feeds a few times, it may settle down a bit. Remember rosies are quirky though, and you may just have a particularly defensive one!

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is a great species to start with. I've had my G. rosea for over a decade. Its a very hardy species that can take it dry without misting. A full water dish will be great. Don't be surprised if it goes through periods where it doesn't move much or eat. Mine fasts for 6-8 months per year. There is a sticky thread regarding this species above that you should read if you haven't already done so. Welcome to T world, and be warned, its hard to just have one :)

Taco Pope

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I'll get it some crickets tomorrow. I was suprised at how strong it was. It was actually twisting the tongs a little in my hand.

Is a high red a type of colorform?

Welcome to T world, and be warned, its hard to just have one
I'm already writing an email to Swift's Inverts. Going to order a B. smithi

Darke FireStorm

Arachnopeon
posting about your first and then...
I'm already writing an email to Swift's Inverts. Going to order a B. smithi
you held out all of an hour {D its alright, it was a good effort
but the power of spider geekiness has its blondi fangs in you now
and will never let your wallet go ;P

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey welcome to the Boards. very nice rosie you got. pretty soon you gonna have more :D just make sure you tell Kelly Swift that your now an AB member so you can get a 10% discount, let us know what freebie you get.

congrats.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
congrats! i love my rosie evita. she is pretty agressive too. moody yet tough. gotta love them. :D

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice Rosea, looks full grown. My male keeps makin sperm webs, but i can't find any females around these parts so i can get him laid before he leaves me. :mad:

-Mattyb

Taco Pope

Arachnopeon
I picked up some crickets today. I was trying to knock a few into the cage and dropped the vial in :eek:
So 35 crickets start running around the cage, the spider ran on top of it's hide to get away from them.
I picked all but 6 crickets out and then knocked the vial over and about 10 of them escaped into my room :mad:

sigh...

Oh wow! It just ate one. Cool.

Matty, I don't think it's full grown yet. That water dish is 2 1/2 inches across. It's about the same size.

Stealth_Taco, we should combine our powers and bring taco goodness to the world!