Bought My First Old World, Second Tarantula Ever

warhorse333

Arachnopeon
I also bought an A Seemani at the same convention, which I'm pretty excited for. I can't say the same for the Cobalt Blue, or C Lividum, which I've heard is a pretty nasty Old World at that. It's also my first sling. What have I done? My other T, an Avic Avic, didn't even teach me much in the 6-ish months I've had it. It's never even molted before. Most of my tarantula experiences are from these forums or YouTube videos, rather than actually caring for a one. Someone help me before I get my tarantula killed. Based on the limited research I've done on the C Lividum, I know(think) that as adults they require 3-4 inches of substrate to burrow in (although I've seen them kept in a lot shallower enclosures) and that they prefer it a little moist and warm. I'm not gonna get a heat lamp and flood it's tiny enclosure or anything, I'm not that inexperienced (and it's already 100+°F where I am), but this T still makes me nervous to say the least. (Please excuse all the parentheses)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Someone help me before I get my tarantula killed. Based on the limited research I've done on the C Lividum, I know(think) that as adults they require 3-4 inches of substrate to burrow in (although I've seen them kept in a lot shallower enclosures) and that they prefer it a little moist and warm.
No, offering only 3/4 inches of substrate to an adult C.lividus specimen (but a juvenile as well, for that matter, remember: a juvenile obligate burrower can be placed in a 'final' enclosure tout court, the less those T's are moved, the best) is being a 'substrate Scrooge', and nothing else.

7/8 inches of substrate at least, God damn it :pompous:

As far parameters, correct. Keep the substrate moist (never wet). A 'decent' room temperature is perfectly fine.

I also bought an A Seemani at the same convention, which I'm pretty excited for. I can't say the same for the Cobalt Blue, or C Lividum, which I've heard is a pretty nasty Old World at that.
Yes, what you heard about this specie is correct: they are fast, very defensive, potent venom spiders that loves to deliver multiple bites within seconds.

Question: for which reasons you purchased something you aren't 'excited' or not comfy enough at all, in the first place? Especially a living creature? :rolleyes:

Ah, nevermind. They are marvellous. Here my baby munching a roach v

C. lividus 3.jpg

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
My first of 2 old worlds is in an enclosure that is pretty close to the size it will need as an adult.

Why did I do this?

She is currently 2” and will max out between 5-6”.

She is slow growing, fossorial and will dig her burrow as deep as she sees fit. (Now it’s just deep enough so her booty sticks out. But I have 6” of sub.)

She is fast, fast, fast, and I only want to deal with rehousing once if I need to.

My second ow is a sling and so far she acts like all the other slings I have.... so far...

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Why'd you get an old world if your so unsure of yourself and scared of the very animal you bought?
keep it the substrate moist but not soaking and give it a decent amount of substrate for a sling I'd give it maybe 2-4 inches of substrate.
Don't use YouTube as your primary source of info.
There are more things wrong than right on most of those videos

warhorse333

Arachnopeon
Why'd you get an old world if your so unsure of yourself and scared of the very animal you bought?
keep it the substrate moist but not soaking and give it a decent amount of substrate for a sling I'd give it maybe 2-4 inches of substrate.
Don't use YouTube as your primary source of info.
There are more things wrong than right on most of those videos
1. I didn't do research on this species until after I got it. I know, I'm stupid. But I've heard of people getting Pokies for their first T, so I'm sure I'm not the first keeper in this position.

2. I'll keep your tips in mind. I know it seems like I'm gonna get this T killed, but with guidance from you guys I hope that won't be true.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Never too late to do research, I suggest you don’t over stress out around the old world so you don’t make any mistakes. I’ve had pokies run all over on me , make Sure cage lid is secured on all too.
I’m very lucky I didn’t get bitten, these are very secretive species.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
1. I didn't do research on this species until after I got it. I know, I'm stupid. But I've heard of people getting Pokies for their first T, so I'm sure I'm not the first keeper in this position.
Yes, a lot of people during time decided to purchase OW T's without having previously a proper, direct, experience. While not the best attitude, as a note, not everytime and always they ended 'bad'.

Anyway, what's done is done and plus if you should think, 'tomorrow', that the C.lividus is asking too much for you, you can always trade/sell the spider. Everything in life - aside death - can be fixed, one moment. No one will judge you.

2. I'll keep your tips in mind. I know it seems like I'm gonna get this T killed, but with guidance from you guys I hope that won't be true.
Rejoice oh lucky one, follow my advices, and everything will be ok, for that I'm the master of 'pet holes' :pompous:

:troll:

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron

I know your not the 1st but that doesn't mean you jump off a cliff for that P. Metallica or C. Lividus/Lividum (Whatever it is now) every new keeper can't seem to resist.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
They are easy to care for, however rehousing and general maintenance will be an issue for you considering how unsure you are.

warhorse333

Arachnopeon
They are easy to care for, however rehousing and general maintenance will be an issue for you considering how unsure you are.
I think rehousing shouldn't be too bad. It's only a sling right now, so I have time to get used to it's speed and aggressiveness. Can you elaborate on the maitenance part though? I thought it'll be like most other T's: feed with a schedule and feeder insect size that's appropriate for it's size, remove boli whenever possible, overflow water dish and/or mist a bit and make sure it's not bothered when it molts.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I think rehousing shouldn't be too bad. It's only a sling right now, so I have time to get used to it's speed and aggressiveness. Can you elaborate on the maitenance part though? I thought it'll be like most other T's: feed with a schedule and feeder insect size that's appropriate for it's size, remove boli whenever possible, overflow water dish and/or mist a bit and make sure it's not bothered when it molts.
Hmmm, I think the bigger they get the more intimidating they will be.
As for maintenance they might not be to bad, they will probably be underground 99% of the time so you might not have a problem.
It's digging them out for a rehouse is when the fun begins, just make sure you place the enclosure in bigger plastic tub, catch cup ready. Also stand up when rehousing never sit.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
@warhorse333 your are a braver man then me, I don't even like the way my Phormictopus slings look at me ;)
True enough, some don't even get to choose anything but OW... (Aussies). But anything there can kill you so... :rofl:

Peeps here can easily help you with that, not me. I'm kinda new myself and I'm not up for an OW yet, if ever.

Another tip/question, noticed you are minor, do tell you parents/caregivers you bought one that can put someone in the hospital. You might already have, but still. o_O

warhorse333

Arachnopeon
@warhorse333
Another tip/question, noticed you are minor, do tell you parents/caregivers you bought one that can put someone in the hospital. You might already have, but still. o_O
In the hospital? I thought the most these T's could do to hurt an adult is intense muscle pains, swelling, and cramps for a couple weeks. That's not exactly a bee sting, I know, but I didn't think it could send anyone to the hospital.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In the hospital? I thought the most these T's could do to hurt an adult is intense muscle pains, swelling, and cramps for a couple weeks. That's not exactly a bee sting, I know, but I didn't think it could send anyone to the hospital.
It's not that a bite from those will necessarily and always send someone to the hospital, here the point is that 'you' can't know what can really happens after a bite so a trip to the E.R is mandatory, if nothing, there's medical prepared assistance.

As I've said, this specie (let's stick to juve/adults for a moment, without considering microid slings) is famous for deliver multiple bites within seconds. Once I personally saw a C.fimbriatus (ok, another specie but the 'music' isn't so different, uh) deliver three bites 'in the air' within five seconds, after a rehouse - obviously I was laughing since I was expecting that. Still, to witness that is always kinda impressive.

And isn't only "muscle pain, swelling and cramps" (btw something that shouldn't been underestimated, for that isn't exactly like having a hot chick waiting for you in the bed, uh) because certain species venom can cause annoying (and quite serious) heart issues, check the likes of S.calceatum (IMO the worst, probably) or the already mentioned C.fimbriatus etc

So be careful, always.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Not trying to freak you out, sorry, or make this a bigger deal then it is. Having an OW as a first or second (whatever), as you pointed out is very much possible. Just depends on the person and on how much respect the keeper has for their pet. That's not something we can really gauge when someone posts. Experience helps of course. So, better safe then sorry. For both the keeper and the T. Anywho, you get the idea ;)

As it's tradition in this thread for me to end my post with a tidbit of info that is unsettling, their venom is often deadly for other pets. Do you own any dogs or cats? o_O
((actually, I'm not sure if that's true for this OW or most even :p )

Seriously, is that more or less the case for all OW's venom or just specific ones? Do you know @Chris LXXIX / @Paul1126 ?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As it's tradition in this thread for me to end my post with a tidbit of info that is unsettling, their venom is often deadly for other pets. Do you own any dogs or cats? o_O
((actually, I'm not sure if that's true for this OW or most even :p )

Seriously, is that more or less the case for all OW's venom or just specific ones? Do you know @Chris LXXIX / @Paul1126 ?
I stick with my opinion about: when there's a Theraphosidae on the loose (no matter now if NW or OW) and cats around, the one that in general risks to end very bad is the spider. Cats are natural born predators, fast and agile like Iga Ninja, with only one strong paw-hit, the spider 9 out of 10 ends mauled and pretty freaked up.

Granted, certain OW's species venom can be (and are, like certain Aussie ones) quite nasty and technically dangerous if a dog/cat get tagged, but I have noticed that, here in this site, a lot of cats (especially cats) keepers tends to underestimate their lovely animals Ninjutsu ability, for that, as I've said, are the spiders the ones that really risks :pompous:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
No, offering only 3/4 inches of substrate to an adult C.lividus specimen (but a juvenile as well, for that matter, remember: a juvenile obligate burrower can be placed in a 'final' enclosure tout court, the less those T's are moved, the best) is being a 'substrate Scrooge', and nothing else.

7/8 inches of substrate at least, God damn it :pompous:

As far parameters, correct. Keep the substrate moist (never wet). A 'decent' room temperature is perfectly fine.

Yes, what you heard about this specie is correct: they are fast, very defensive, potent venom spiders that loves to deliver multiple bites within seconds.

Question: for which reasons you purchased something you aren't 'excited' or not comfy enough at all, in the first place? Especially a living creature? :rolleyes:

Ah, nevermind. They are marvellous. Here my baby munching a roach v

View attachment 280519
I see a little drop of red in that photo. Some marinara with the roach, perhaps?

boina

Lady of the mites
I really don't know what to say to this...

Do you know:

1. the heart is a muscle. If the heart is cramping and not pumping properly you may want to go to a hospital. Heart 'palpitations', i.e. irregular heart beat is a distinct possibility.

2. You need muscles to expand your lung to breathe. If those muscles are cramping your lung can't expand properly. Shortness of breath is a very common complaint after OW bites. Depending on how bad it gets you really will want to go to a hospital.

3. Intense pain (and the pain is very intense) can have side effects that lead to serious shock-like symptoms. You may really want to go to a hospital.

1.+2.+3. Are there other people around that are not completely healthy, i.e. that have pre-existing lung/heart conditions? Grandparents? You can imagine what may happen.

4. Do you have smaller mammal pets? I don't agree with @Chris LXXIX that cats usually win against a spider. The spider may just get one lucky bite in before it dies and the cat is in life threatening trouble. The dog will probably already be dead at that point.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I have no doubt that I would have to go to the hospital if I were bitten by one of my OW Ts due to my age and health, but the risk is only to myself and my elderly cat. If I had small children in the house I wouldn't have any OWs. Being unsure and nervous about caring for an animal can lead to panicking if something unexpected happens which could end badly for all concerned. These spiders can run up the tongs and up your arm before you can even register they have moved.