Bothriochactas sp ???

pezzonovante

Arachnopeon
Can someone tell me what kind of scorpion is this, it`s from French Guyana !!!??? I found some information that it could be Bothriochactas sp. !

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi
Your pictures not showing up, there is one Bothriochactas species from French Guyana (B. gonzalezspongai according to Eric), you can tell if its Bothriochactas (I think) because it should have 3 subaculear tubercules, which is pretty distinctive.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ah, wait I'm confused do you mean "broteochactas", Ignore what I said about subaculear tubercules only one of the sub-genera have those.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
If you know the locality in French Guyana, perhaps I can find what is it.
Cheers,
Eric

pezzonovante

Arachnopeon
Hi Eric....The scorpion is from Kaw mountains..near Camp Caiman..there is probably Kaw national park or something like that !

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi, according to Lourenço, it seems that the genus Brotheas is the most common Chactidae in this area. I would think to a male B.gervaisii (just because I found many B.gervaisii on the road from Roura to Kaw) but without much conviction...it can be B.granulatus, or perhaps another genus...
Cheers,
Eric

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, there are very few Bothriurids in the hobby, lucky you :drool:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pezzonovante said:
Are Bothriochactas sp.-s rare in Europe ?
Hi,
As Fusion said it is Broteochactas, and I don't think your species is a Brotheochactas because the only one species (B.gonzalezspongai) seems to occur only in East of F.Guyana (Maripasoula, etc..).
Cheers,
Eric

pezzonovante

Arachnopeon
Oh...I`m confused....what do you think..how can I be 99% sure what species is this ? :? :? :? :8o :8o :8o

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi
You may be able to ID it to genus level with photos but IDing to species level from photos probably will not be possible (although Eric might be able to do it). To check if its Brotheas you can look at the tarsus of the legs (7th section of the legs), you should see a row of spines on the back surface these.

Last edited:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
although Eric might be able to do it
No I'm not able ! :eek:
I have several papers on Chactidae of French Guyana but I'm not able to identify it from photo.
Cheers,
Eric

pezzonovante

Arachnopeon
fusion121 said:
Hi
You may be able to ID it to genus level with photos but IDing to species level from photos probably will not be possible (although Eric might be able to do it). To check if its Brotheas you can look at the tarsus of the legs (7th section of the legs), you should see a row of spines on the back surface these.

Maybe you can post a pic, that I`d know what to look at ?

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have a picture of it unfortunately, I expect its difficult to see on a live specimen.

pezzonovante

Arachnopeon
Well I certainly hope that someone has a pic...maybe Eric does ?

Last edited:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No I don't have a pic. I could try to photograph one of my dead Brotheas, but I need time...
Cheers